It has been chillin’ in the deep freeze waiting for me to remember it was out there. So, Sunday as we were trying to get out the door for church and Sunday school, I decided to get it out and throw it on the counter. Please do not criticize my thawing techniques. It was rock solid and would have taken days to thaw in the fridge. And besides, all those bacteria cook out.
When we got home I decided I would try to grill the
bird breast. And if I am going to be grilling a large hunk of meat, of course I need to brine it! So, I grabbed one of my two gallon Hefty zipper bags and threw the hunk of meat in. Grabbed a handful of garlic cloves, whacked ’em, peeled ’em and tossed them on the turkey.
I knew I didn’t have much time for the breast to brine, so I kept it simple.
8 cups of water
1/2 cup of brown sugar
3 teaspoons of Famous Dave’s Roasting Chicken Seasoning
1 Tablespoon of sea salt
Mix add it all to the large measuring bowl and whisk together.
Pour over top of the turkey and garlic and seal the bag, getting all the excess air out.
Put in the fridge for two hours to two days. Now, in a perfect world where said turkey breast thaws and is ready to go on the grill by five, we would have at turkey last night. However, this bad boy was still froze solid at 6:30 p.m. So, we at popcorn for supper.
But, Monday was a totally different story. Turkey, meet crock pot!
I chopped up several stalks of celery, rough chopped an onion, chopped a few more garlic cloves, chunked up a green pepper, and tossed a few baby carrots in for good measure. I filled the breast cavity with the veggies and two slabs of butter as well as sprinkled in some more chicken roasting seasoning. Tossed the rest of the veggies around the turkey, drizzled the breast with olive oil and doused in seasonings. Before putting the lid on, I added about 1/2 cup of water.
Then, I literally smashed the lid down on the crock. The breast was a bit large and barely fit in the six quarter. But, it roasted all day. And was ready for dinner when we all got home.
Thanks turkey farmers, for another great Hunk of Meat Monday!
- 8 cups of water
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons of Famous Dave's Roasting Chicken Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon of sea salt
- One Whole Turkey Breast
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, chopped or baby carrots
- 1 green pepper, rough chopped
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of butter, divided in half
- Chicken Roasting Seasoning
- Olive oil
- Mix brine ingredients together.
- Place turkey breast in a large ziploc bag and power brine over top.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Toss vegetables together and season with chicken roasting seasoning.
- Fill the breast cavity with the veggies and two slabs of butter.
- Any leftover veggies left add around the turkey
- Drizzle the breast with olive oil and doused in seasonings.
- Add about ½ cup of water.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours