During the week I need supper to be quick. This creamy tomato and sausage penne pasta skillet recipe is just that, quick. Plus you only have two pans to clean up with dishes.
The best thing about summer is fresh herbs and tomatoes growing outside the back door. The bad thing about summer is cooking anything in the oven just makes the air conditioner work overtime.
Creamy Tomato and Sausage Penne Pasta
This dish is very similar to a hamburger helper type skillet meal. However, I cook the pasta and the meat at the same time to save time in the long run. I did use gluten free pasta for this dish. My family had no idea. This allowed me to eat all from one pot without having my gluten free separate. And while I use ground pork for most of my Italian dishes, feel free to use ground beef, turkey or chicken. To make it Italian, I always have Italian sausage seasoning on hand.
Since we seem to have peppers and tomatoes coming out of our garden, it was easy to add a ton of veggies to the dish once the ground meat with Italian seasoning are browned. The one time I want shopping with a dietitian, I learned doubling your veggies can pack the nutrient punch without your family even noticing. I also
Brown the veggies for a few minutes and then add a few glugs of wine to the meat and veggies. Cook to reduce. When the pasta is cooked, drain and be ready to combine with the meat and veggie mixture.
Yes, I use a jar of creamy tomato sauce. I said this was a quick meal. And this here jar of cheese creations does just that, makes my meal quick. Once the sauce is completely incorporated, I then added about a dozen cherry tomatoes that I had cut in half.
Add a few torn pieces of fresh basil if you have some. Heat for another 2-3 minutes then cover in an Italian cheese blend or shredded mozzarella. I turned off heat and covered the skillet to let the cheese melt.
I drank a great bottle of pinot noir with this creamy tomato and sausage penne pasta. Wine in the pasta means I have to drink wine with the pasta. This dish will be a regular meal at our house, especially since it was ready in under 30 minutes.
- 1 pound ground pork, beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 tablespoon of Italian Sausage Seasoning
- 12 ounces of penne pasta (I used this gluten free pasta)
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 jar creamy tomato pasta sauce
- 6-8 leaves basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- While pasta is cooking, brown meat and add the Italian Seasoning while meat browns.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic to meat. Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Pour in wine and reduce for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta with creamy tomato sauce.
- Add tomatoes and basil. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and then sprinkle with cheese. Cover to help melt cheese.
- Garnish with basil.