Low-carb chile Rellenos soup is a creamy keto Mexican soup recipe combining queso and cream cheese, ground pork, taco seasonings, and poblano peppers. This keto poblano pepper and sausage soup is full of flavors just like your favorite chile Rellenos at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
Just like the low-carb taco soup, this recipe is creamy and full of flavor with the ground pork. This recipe is tomato-free though. The poblano peppers own the starring role in this low-carb poblanos sausage soup.
Low-Carb Poblano Sausage Soup Ingredients
There are simple ingredients, but if you are like me, you don’t normally by poblano peppers. I am always buying bell peppers but these poblano peppers are richer in flavor. I don’t know why I don’t use them more. Here are the six ingredients you will need for the chile Rellenos soup.
- Ground pork or sausage – Ground pork should be easy to find in the fresh meat area, normally above the pork chops.
- Better than Bouillion Roasted Chicken – Regular bouillon or broth can be used as well.
- Cream cheese
- Queso Quesadilla Cheese
- Adobo seasoning
- Xanthan gum for thickening
How to Make Low-Carb Chile Rellenos Soup
To make this soup, begin by browning the ground pork. Season the pork with the Adobo seasoning. Chop the poblano peppers and add to the pork in the Dutch oven or stockpot as well. When the pork is browned, add the roasted chicken Better than Bouillion. Stir to coat the ground pork and peppers completely.
Then add the cream cheese to the pot to start to melt it.
Slowly add the water. If you are using chicken broth, then combine that liquid amount with the water amount. When the cream cheese is melted and the water is all added, let simmer. Slowly add the shredded quesadilla cheese.
If you want the soup to be a thicker soup, add xanthan gum. Start with one teaspoon and stir to combine. Slowly add more until it reaches the thickness you desire.
Garnish this keto poblano sausage soup with more shredded queso quesadilla cheese and chopped poblano peppers.
Low-Carb Chile Rellenos Soup
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 2 poblano peppers
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon roasted chicken Better than Bouillon
- 8 ounces queso quesadilla melting cheese
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown the ground pork. Season with the adobo seaosning and add the poblano peppers as the pork cooks.
- When the meat is cooked, add the Better than Bouillon. Stir to coat the meat and peppers completely. Add the cream cheese and melt.
- Begin to slowly add the water to help melt the cream cheese completely into the soup.
- When all the water is added, slowly bring to a simmer. Begin adding ¾ of the shredded queso cheese. Stir to keep from scorching.
- To thicken the soup, add xanthan gum. More can be added for a thicker soup.