A few weeks ago when I made grilled chicken and pork chops we had some leftovers.
I had a pot of water going for a box of pasta at the same time.
In a large pan I got a roux going. I put 5 tablespoons of butter down and got it melted and then added 5 tablespoons of flour along with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Let it cook for about a minute before adding milk
I slowly added 4 cups of milk, whisking as I added.
Once I got the milk added I added a teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder.
When the cream sauce just began to bubble I killed the heat and then added 4 cups of colby jack cheese.
Stirred it together till the cheese was completely melted.
When the cheese sauce was ready I tossed the chicken with about 1/3 cup of bbq sauce into the pasta pan after I had drained the pasta out.
While the chicken is just warming up dump the pasta into the cheese sauce.
Once the cheese and pasta is poured into a greased dish, top with BBQ meat.
Sprinkle with an additional 1/2 to 1 cup of cheese.
Let it set for about 5 minutes before serving.
- 1 lb. mini pasta of choice
- 5 Tbls. butter
- 5 Tbls. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 5 c. shredded colby jack cheese, divided
- 2 c. BBQ Chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- ⅓ c. BBQ sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter into a large pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in milk until smooth, stir continuously until liquid thickens and comes to a low boil. Add garlic & onion powders. Reduce heat to low and stir in 4 cups of cheese.
- Add cooked pasta to cheese sauce.
- Heat chicken and BBQ sauce in the pasta pan until just heated.
- Pour mixture into 13 x 9 or 2 smaller baking dishes then top evenly with BBQ chicken.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes on 350 degrees.
What’s your hunk of meat Monday looking like? Can’t wait to see what ideas I can make.