As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for a way to use leftover BBQ chicken? Or any barbequed meat for that matter? If your kids are anything like mine, they are asking for macaroni and cheese every night of the week. So, this easy BBQ chicken mac and cheese recipe is a great way to use leftover grilled chicken (or pork) and give the kids their mac and cheese!
BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese
I had a pot of water going for a box of pasta at the same time.
In a large pan, I got a roux going. I put 5 tablespoons of butter down and got it melted and then added 5 tablespoons of flour along with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Let it cook for about a minute before adding milk
I slowly added 4 cups of milk, whisking as I added.
Once I got the milk added I added a teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder.
When the cream sauce just began to bubble I killed the heat and then added 4 cups of colby jack cheese.
Stirred it together till the cheese was completely melted.
When the cheese sauce was ready I tossed the chicken with about 1/3 cup of bbq sauce into the pasta pan after I had drained the pasta out.
While the chicken is just warming up dump the pasta into the cheese sauce.
Once the cheese and pasta are poured into a greased dish, top with BBQ meat.
Sprinkle with an additional 1/2 to 1 cup of cheese.
Let it set for about 5 minutes before serving.
BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese
BBQ chicken mac and cheese is a great way to use leftover grilled BBQ chicken with cheesy macaroni for a quick go-to weeknight meal.
- 1 lb. mini pasta of choice
- 5 Tbls. butter
- 5 Tbls. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 5 c. shredded colby jack cheese divided
- 2 c. BBQ Chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 c. BBQ sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in milk until smooth, stir continuously until liquid thickens and comes to a low boil. Add garlic & onion powders. Reduce heat to low and stir in 4 cups of cheese.
- Add cooked pasta to cheese sauce.
- Heat chicken and BBQ sauce in the pasta pan until just heated.
- Pour mixture into 13 x 9 or 2 smaller baking dishes then top evenly with BBQ chicken.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
What’s your hunk of meat Monday looking like? Can’t wait to see what ideas I can make.
Latest posts by Leah (see all)
- Air Fryer Honey Mustard Chicken Legs – Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks - October 18, 2019
- Peanut Buster Parfait Ice Cream Dessert - October 9, 2019
- All-American Steaks - September 30, 2019