Do you ever crave the sweet and salty taste of those little o’s from your childhood? Now, you can recreate the magic of SpaghettiOs at home with better ingredients and customizable flavors! Making homemade SpaghettiOs allows you to control exactly what goes into them. My version uses tomato sauce sweetened just a touch, tender little pasta rings, bites of ground meat, cheese, and savory seasonings.
Whether it is a meal just for the kids or for the whole family, this recipe is one of those recipes that will feel like spaghetti night or even a chili substitute. This homemade SpaghettiOs is a cross between a soup and a goulash.
The ingredients for this tomato-based pasta recipe are pantry staples. Here is what you need to make homemade spaghetti Os.
- Ground Beef
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Better than Bouillon - I used both Chicken and Garlic Better than Bouillon in this recipe. You can use chicken broth, though. You can substitute broth, too. Just use the same amount of broth as water that is called for in the recipe.
- Zesty Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning - A packet of thick and zesty spaghetti seasoning. The seasoning packet is a combination of Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Salt, Corn Maltodextrin, Onion, Tomato Powder, Garlic, Spices (Including Basil and Paprika), Green Bell Pepper.
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Italian Herbs
- Pasta Rings
- Cream Cheese
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions - How to Make Homemade SpaghettiOs?
To make this spaghetti recipe, start by getting your favorite Dutch Oven ready on the stovetop for this one pan recipe to start being made.
Begin making the Homemade Spaghettios by cooking ground meat, breaking it into small pieces. Add onion and garlic and continue cooking 5 minutes.
Add tomato paste, spaghetti sauce, dried herbs, and zesty spaghetti packet. Stir to combine, then add the better than bouillon and balsamic vinegar to the Dutch Oven.
Next, stir in the cream cheese and two cups of water. Let the mixture begin to boil.
Finally, add the pasta rings and stir to combine, then reduce to a simmer and place the lid on the pot. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is soft.
When the homemade spaghetti O's are ready, serve in bowls topped off with parmesan cheese and with English muffin garlic bread. It will almost feel like a spaghetti soup. This will be a warm and hearty supper recipe.
Hint: Make this in the crock pot by just adding the cooked pasta rings before serving. The meat sauce can slow cook and be served over traditional spaghetti noodles too.
Adult versions of spaghettios are possible, as well as some of the fun variations you find in a can.
- Spicy - Add red pepper flakes and some heat to the recipe while cooking.
- SpaghettiOs with Franks - add sliced hot dogs to the sauce instead of ground beef for the SpaghettiOs with Frank version of this recipe.
- Meatballs - Roll out mini meatballs and cook them, then drop them into the sauce instead of ground beef if you are looking for the SpaghettiOs with meatballs recipe.
See this lasagna soup on my website for a cheesier version of this recipe.
Spaghetti Tools and Supplies
Making spaghetti recipes like these spaghettios need a few specific ingredients and pieces of equipment. Here is everything you need to make this recipe or any other spaghetti recipe.
Storing Leftover Spaghettios
These leftovers are great for lunch box thremos school lunches or even just lunch at home. Refrigerate for up to 5 days and enjoy the flavors of these spaghettios come to life.
Freeze the leftovers in freezer bags for up to three months.
Make this a soup recipe instead of thicker stew or goulash-like recipe by doubling the liquid by adding two cups of milk or water.
The sauce for spaghettios is a tomato puree and cheese. Additional ingredients like herbs and spices can be added as well to enhance the flavor.
Looking for other pasta recipes like this? Try these tried and true pasta recipes:
Weeknight Meal Ideas
These are my favorite weeknight meal ideas that make getting dinner on the table so simple:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 packet zesty spaghetti seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs like basil, parsley, oregano
- 1 tablespoon better than bouillon chicken
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups water
- 7 ounces pasta rings 1 small box
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground meat breaking it into small pieces. Add onion and garlic and continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, spaghetti sauce, zesty spaghetti packet. Stir to combine and then add the better than bouillon and balsamic vinegar to the Dutch Oven.
- Next, stir in the cream cheese and two cups of water. Let the mixture begin to boil.
- Finally, add the pasta rings and stir to combine, then reduce to a simmer and place the lid on the pot. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is soft.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.