As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whether it is a week night, a tailgate or a county fair, walking tacos are always a hit. Making the crock pot taco meat walking tacos just makes life simpler when you really do need to eat on the go.
Cooking ground meat in the crock pot isn’t necessarily something new for me. I am a fan of prepping a whole bunch of ground meat ahead of time and then have it ready for quick meals. Making taco meat in the crock pot for a quick meal like walking tacos was obviously a no brainer then too.
Crock Pot Taco Meat
For just our family I always make two pounds of ground beef for tacos. I usually have leftovers too, which means I can make something for me to eat another night or day I work from home. Our ground beef is always frozen since we buy beef in bulk from my brother. I put two frozen pounds of ground beef in the crock pot on high.
When the beef is no longer pink, I also add refried beans to the meat. This does two things for me, it stretches the meat and it gives some additional fiber to my cheese loving kids. They don’t even notice. I do about a quarter to a third of a cup per pound of meat.
The star of the walking tacos is the chips. Whether you make walking tacos with Doritos or with Fritos, the process is the same. However, we like using the bigger individual sized bags that cost almost as much as a family sized bag of chips at the grocery store. The day I found a box of 64 bags of 1.75 ounce Doritos on Amazon eligible for Subscribe and Save might have been the day I knew we would be having walking tacos every single week of the year.
The toppings for a walking taco should align with what your toppings would be for a traditional taco. If you don’t like sour cream, don’t use it. If you want black olives, add them. Here is a quick look at what we all have in our walking tacos.
Crock Pot Taco Meat - Walking Tacos
- 2 pounds ground beef pork or chicken
- Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup refried beans Optional
- 8 bags of 1.75-ounce Doritos
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Place ground meat in the crock pot. Cook on high for one hour.
- Break meat apart to allow to cook more thoroughly. Add taco seasoning. 1/4 cup of taco seasoning per pound of meat.
- Let the meat cook another hour.
- Add 1/2 cup of refried beans, if you would like. Then begin making walking tacos.
- Start by crushing up the Doritos in the bag before opening.
- To the top of the chips add the taco toppings you look.
- Stir with a fork and enjoy!