As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am a lover of hot dogs, brats, smoked sausages, all things processed pork. I just can’t help myself. As I try to eat low-carb I am constantly looking for recipes I can enjoy on a low-carb diet and my family can enjoy on a regular diet. When I was craving my good baked coney dogs, I decided to try to make a low-carb chili dogs casserole. This way I could eat the low carb version and my family could eat it on some bread. I accidentally created it to be a taco chili dogs casserole. Crock Pot Low Carb Taco Chili Dogs Casserole is a quick meal cooked in a casserole crock pot while your run around to evening activities.
As I said, this recipe accidentally became a taco version of a traditional chili dogs casserole. The ingredients can easily be transformed into a more traditional chili dog casserole by simply not making my mistake. But if the crock pot low carb taco chili dogs casserole has your interest peaked, then you will want to make my delicious mistake.
The ingredients are simple. I used smoked brats, but feel free to use hot dogs, ground beef thanks to my box of beef from Sumner Point Beef Farms. You will also need a can of fire roasted tomatoes or in my case fire roasted tomatoes salsa ready with peppers, chili powdering, garlic, cheese, peppers, and onions.
Begin by putting the brats or hot dogs, cut in half lengthwise and then split open and place in the mini casserole crock pot. Go ahead and put the crock pot on high and let the brats start heating up.
In a large skillet start making your chili topping. Over a medium-high heat, combine the ground beef, onions, peppers, garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
As the mixture sautés, continue to stir. Then add the tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper. To make this taco, go ahead and toss taco seasoning or adobo seasoning into the mixture too. If you want this to be more traditional leave it out. You will also want to add a little sweetener. I used KetoSweet powder in this dish. If you aren’t on low-carb, sugar can definitely be substituted.
Stir to combine and let simmer or just go ahead and pour completely over the top of the hot dogs or brats.
Top the casserole off with the shredded cheese and onions if you want to use them. Onions can carry sugar, so if you are on strict keto, you should probably avoid them just to be safe. I don’t let myself worry about vegetables if I am successful in avoiding grains and sugar.
Crock Pot Low Carb Taco Chili Dogs Casserole
- 6-8 hot dogs or smoked brats
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 14.5 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes salsa ready if available
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ketosesweet powder sweetner
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning or adobo seasoning
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Cut the hot dogs or brats in half and the cut partial lengthwise and put in a small casserole crock pot. Set crock pot on high.
- In a skillet over a medium high heat cook the ground beef, half the diced onion, garlic, bell pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- When the meat is cooked add the tomatoes, chili powder, sweetener, and taco or adobo seasoning. Stir to combine. Simmer for a few minutes to allow the liquid to cook down.
- Pour the chili mix over the hot dogs. Top with the shredded cheese and remaining onions.
- Cook for two hours.