Smoked mac and cheese is an over the top macaroni and cheese recipe using a cheesy garlic white sauce combined with four kinds of cheese and then smoked on the Big Green Egg for an hour. The panko and parmesan cheese solidify this mac and cheese as completely OTT! The mac and cheese is definitely worth the wait too.
This mac and cheese can also be baked in the oven if you don’t have a Big Green Egg, smoker, or even grill. The flavors will still be divine just a little less smoke flavor. Your family will love the over the top macaroni and cheese.
Over the Top Mac and Cheese Ingredients
The ingredients for an over the top macaroni and cheese recipe are a lot of cheese, milk, butter, macaroni, and flour. It also needs seasonings, panko bread crumbs, and more cheese! Here are the ingredients you need to pull together.
- Elbow Macaroni Pasta
- Cream cheese
- Smoked Gouda
- Seasoned salt
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Parmesan Cheese
I told you this smoked macaroni and cheese is OVER THE TOP.
How to Make Smoked Mac and Cheese
Begin making this recipe by cooking your macaroni. Your pasta needs to be cooked a little less than fully so it does not turn into mush when it cooks on the smoker. I cooked my pasta about a minute or two less than recommended.
When the pasta is added to the water, start on your cheese sauce in the large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven you plan on cooking the macaroni and cheese in. Begin by melting the butter with the minced garlic in it.
When the butter has melted, add the flour to make a roux. When the flour is completely melded into the butter, let boil for a minute and then start to slowly add the milk to the roux. Add the milk a half a cup to a cup at a time letting in blend completely into the butter and flour.
Once the milk is completely incorporated into the roux, season with season salt and paprika. Next, start adding the cheese by starting with cubed cream cheese. Melt the cream cheese down and then add the shredded cheeses starting with the smoked gouda and Havarti
Continue to mix and melt the cheese together with the white sauce. When the gouda and Havarti cheese are melted, add the shredded colby-jack cheese. When the cheese is all melted, add the drained pasta to the cheese sauce.
Stir the macaroni into the cheese sauce and then make the panko and parmesan cheese topping.
Mix together melted butter, shredded or grated parmesan cheese, panko crumbs, and paprika. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Smoked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound macaroni
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup smoked gouda
- 1 cup Havarti cheese
- 2 cups Colby-Jack Cheese
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- Begin by getting the smoker or oven to 250°.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil and begin boiling macaroni. Cook the macaroni for a minute or two less than instructed so the pasta will continue to cook on the smoker.
- While the pasta cooks, make the cheese sauce by melting the 6 tablespoons of butter and then sauteing the minced garlic in a Dutch oven. Add the flour to the melted butter and mix continuing to cook for one minute while it is bubbling. Slowly add the milk a half a cup at a time. Bring to a rolling boil and then turn down the heat. Stir in the season salt and 1/2 teaspoon of paprika.
- Put the cream cheese cut into cubes into the sauce, stir to melt. Then add the shredded gouda, Havarti, and Colby-Jack cheeses one cup at a time. Continue to stir to melt.
- Pour the cooked macaroni in the cheese sauce.
- Melt four tablespoons of butter and then mix the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and paprika into the melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Put the macaroni and cheese on the smoker in indirect heat for one to two hours or until the macaroni and cheese are bubbling.