If you have a hard time choosing between burgers or pizza, these pepperoni pizza burgers will be your new favorite burger combining two All-American favorites. These burgers were a big hit at our house last summer and it might just be warm enough to make them sometime soon.
The thing with these burgers is all the favorite things of pizza are there. Stringy, melted mozzarella cheese. Check.
Stringy, melted mozzarella cheese. Check.
Crispy pepperonis. Check.
Sweet and tangy tomato sauce. Check.
I am telling you these pepperoni pizza burgers might actually be better than pizza since the crust is Italian seasoned ground pork and beef.
Pepperoni Pizza Burgers
Now, when it comes to the hamburger patties, I have a habit of combining ground beef and pork. Or just using ground pork. For these burgers, you can use the ground meat of your choice, but I highly recommend making ground pork at least half of the meat. The key to the flavor is the seasoning which is Italian Sausage Seasoning and Pizza Seasoning. Both of which I get from Penzeys. I combine the seasoning with the ground meat and pattie the meat up.
Once the patties are made, it is time to hit the grill. Now, since I have had the Big Green Egg, I normally can have the charcoal up and hot by the time I have the patties ready. I just love the flavor I get from the charcoal. Regardless of charcoal or gas grill, get the temp up to 400 degrees and put the patties on the grill. Then let the temperature drop to 350 degrees and maintain the temperature.
Cook the burger for 5-7 minutes on each side. Then layer the toppings on the burgers starting with the tomato pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, and pepperoni. Cook the burger till the pepperonis are crisp and cheese is melted.
Now, when it comes to condiments, I would again just say, KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. Do you really need anything? I mean, you have tomato sauce so you don't need ketchup. Pickles on a pizza. Nah. Lettuce and tomato might work, but I would really just try it straight from the grill to straight on a bun.
Get the Pepperoni Pizza Burgers Recipe
Not a pepperoni lover, no fear, go ahead and add the toppings you do like on your pizza. No rules here. Just go ahead and make your pizza burgers.
Pepperoni Pizza Burgers
- 2 pounds of ground pork or beef or combination
- 1 tablespoon pizza seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Italian sausage seasoning.
- 1 jar of pizza sauce
- 1 1/1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 24 slices of pepperoni
- Combine the ground pork, pizza seasoning, and Italian sausage seasoning with your hands making sure to incorporate the seasoning throughout the meat.
- Form into 8 quarter pound patties.
- Place patties on a 400-degree grill and then let the grill drop to 350 degrees.
- Grill burgers for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked top each burger with a tablespoon of pizza seasoning, followed by cheese and finally pepperoni slices.
- Cook till the pepperonis are crisp.
Affiliate links were used in this post.