As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Deep-Dish Pan Calzones
I brown up the sausage and make sure it is tiny pieces thanks to my pampered chef mix and mash. Feel free to throw in onion and garlic if you so desire. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.
Then I prep my pan. Now, I am making this calzone in my metal 9 x 13 pan rather than my stone jelly roll. The key to a good crust for me is in the crispiness. So I start by pouring some olive oil in the bottom of the pan and sprinkling a generous amount of garlic powder on top.
Then, I grab a paper towel and spread the oil and garlic powder all over the bottom and sides of the pan.
Then I grab my tube of Pillsbury thin crust piece dough. Normally I would put the entire crust on the bottom of a jelly roll pan and use an additional tube for the top of the calzone. But this time, I use just one tube. Spread it out in the pan with half hanging over the edge to flip over wants it was filled with my pizza stuffing.
Once the sausage was browned, I drained the fat off and got the rest of my stuffings ready. I rough chopped some pepperoni.
Tossed it in the skillet right on top of the sausage.
Then did the same with some mushrooms and onions. I really like the taste of onion, so I tend to wait till now to throw in the onion. Gives it a stronger raw onion flavor.
Then I poured in the pizza sauce.
Followed by the tomatoes. Now remember to drain the water off of the tomatoes. Someone might have forgotten to do that very important step. Not sure who, but I heard someone did. I also threw in a few pinches of oregano and some salt and pepper.
While your stuffings simmer a few minutes, grab a two cup package of shredded mozzarella. Sprinkle half on the bottom crust.
Once the fillings are thoroughly heated, it is time to start filling your calzone.
I use a slotted spoon to transfer the filling from the skillet to the crust. You don’t want too much liquid in the mixture. It makes the crust more doughy and harder to get done.
Once you have the filling all piled onto the crust, finish off by sprinkling the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese.
Then fold the remaining half of crust over top of the filling.
I sprinkled the top with garlic powder. But, I have an obsession with garlic. Put into a 400-degree oven for 20 minutes or until the top is done to your liking.
I let it sit about 10 minutes to cool slighting before cutting and serving.
Tasty, quick dinner. Always a family pleaser.
Pin the Deep-Dish Pan Calzones Recipe for Later
Deep-Dish Pan Calzones - Stuffed Pizza
- 1 thin crust refrigerator pizza dough
- 1 pound ground sausage or ground beef
- 1 cup of ham pepperoni, bacon or combination of the three
- 4 ounces of fresh or canned mushrooms sliced (optional)
- 1 onion diced (Optional)
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1.5 cups of pizza sauce or 1 jar
- 1, 15 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes drained
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- Olive Oil
- In a large skillet, brown ground sausage, onions, and garlic. Drain grease and return to the skillet
- Mix in the cup of extra meats and mushrooms into the meat.
- Pour pizza sauce and diced tomatoes over the meat and veggies. Stir in the oregano. Let simmer for five minutes.
- Prepare the pan by spreading olive oil on the bottom. When coated, sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Lay the pizza dough in pan so the length of the pizza dough goes across the width of the pan. This allows for half the dough to be hanging over the side. Sprinkle with one cup of the shredded mozzarella.
- On top of the dough put the meat and sauce mixture. Top with the remaining cup of shredded mozzarella.
- Fold the remaining half of the dough over the top of the meat mixture to seal the dough over the top.
- Spread olive oil over the top of the dough and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Bake for 20 minutes on 400 degrees or the crust is golden brown.
So, what do you have cooking this week?
Find other great recipe hops at
Melt in your mouth Monday
Your recipe, my kitchen
Hearth and Soul
Dr. Laura’s Tasty Tuesday
Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits
Tuesday Night Supper Club
What’s on the menu Wednesday
- Bacon Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms – Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms - June 28, 2020
- Easy Summer Dinner Ideas - June 22, 2020
- The Ultimate Baked Tacos – Creamy Ground Beef Baked Tacos - June 13, 2020