I am sure many of you realize that if you are making a big crock pot meal sometime during the week, you get mighty sick of leftovers. So, I have decided that I have to recreate my leftovers.
Thanks to some chicken and potatoes I made in the crock pot, I had the perfect base for a chowder. This Mexican corn and chicken chowder is a twist to the normal corn chowder recipe that any tortilla soup fan is sure to love.
I started with frying up 3 or 4 pieces of bacon in the bottom of a large stock or soup pot.
I always cut my bacon to fry it rather than crumble it post fry. Once, it was good and crisp, I removed the bacon and left the grease. I had diced up a half of an onion and a bell pepper and tossed it into the pan.
I let the veggies get tender and then tossed two tablespoons of flour into the pan to form a roux.
Once it had formed a sticky paste, I put in about ½ teaspoon of cumin and mixed together.
I then poured in one can of chicken stock.
Followed by 3 cups of milk.
Stirred it all together and kept on a low heat, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
Then, I grabbed a can of Rotel.
I poured the whole can into the pot without draining. Then I chopped up the leftover chicken and potatoes. Even cold, the chicken fell right off the bone. Go ahead and add the chicken and potatoes to the mix.
Stir it all together.
We freeze corn at our house, so I poured 3 cups of corn into the soup with all the good corn milk. If you don't have fresh frozen corn, I suggest you use one can of creamed corn and one can of whole corn. Or frozen. But do they make frozen creamed corn. You get my drift.
I then stirred this all together and kept the heat on low while I waited for everyone to get home.
It was a hit. Not totally sure if the husband loved that he had soup with chicken as a main course, but he ate two bowls!
We topped ours with some cheddar cheese and the bacon. Yummy!
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1 can Rotel
- 2 cups shredded or diced chicken
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups corn
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fry bacon in large stockpot. Remove bacon, leaving grease and crumble, set bacon aside.
- Add onions and peppers to pan and saute for 4-5 minutes or vegetables become tender.
- Add two tablespoons of flour to veggies. Mix to form a roux. Add in cumin.
- Pour chicken stock and milk into stockpot. Stir to combine. Continue to heat over medium heat for about two-three minutes.
- Add Rotel, chicken, potatoes, and corn to the milk mixture.
- Stir in salt and pepper then cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with cheddar cheese and reserved crumbled bacon.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021