As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I have nights, that I literally open the fridge and curse as I see chicken juice running everywhere. And it is running everywhere because of the frozen chicken I put in the fridge three days ago is fully thawed now. And obviously the packaging has a hole in it that I was unaware of three days ago. So, once the fridge is disinfected, it is time to get creative. I knew I had to add some red meat somehow to the meal, so took some inspiration from one of my favorite dishes at Johnny Carino’s, Chicken Milano, to make a chicken and ham casserole version.
Chicken Milano Casserole AKA Chicken and Ham Casserole
I started with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. If you have chicken breasts, you can use those. I put some butter down in a large skillet.
Then season the chicken with salt and pepper. I also used a little of one of my new favorites from Penzeys.
Serve with a salad and call it good! My kids loved this casserole.
Chicken Milano Casserole
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon granulated onions
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 8 ounces of mushrooms sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 8 ounces of diced ham
- 2 jars of Alfredo sauce
- 1 pound cut spaghetti cooked al dente
- 1 tablespoon Pasta Sprinkle or dried basil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups shredded Italian Cheese blend
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and granulated onion and cook over medium heat in a buttered skillet. Cook chicken for 8-10 minutes on each side. When you have flipped the chicken, add mushrooms and garlic. Continue to cook until the chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to let it rest for several minutes, leaving mushrooms and garlic in the pan. Add tomatoes and ham into the pan and saute for several minutes.
- Chop chicken into cubes. Pour one jar of alfredo sauce into pan with ham, mushrooms and tomatoes. Add chicken and cooked cut spaghetti. Add additional jar of Alfredo, pasta sprinkle and a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Pour into two 2 1/2 qt casserole dishes. Put one cup of shredded cheese on each casserole. Cook one at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes and freeze the other for later.
And I have a feeling this week might be the week I need to use that freezer meal. Off to the races…link up your favorites!