I am keeping the pork farmers in business with the amount of bacon we are consuming at our house. We have BLTs once a week. I add bacon crumbles to salads. I always have at least two pounds of bacon in the fridge and who knows how much I have in the two chest freezers we have moved twice in six months. Naturally, I was drawn to these bacon burgers - stuffed bacon cheeseburgers - that Gooseberry Patch's latest cookbook, Garfield...Recipes with Cattitude!
Now, for those of you have a debate at your house on if beef burgers or pork burgers are better, this burger uses both! It also uses fillers that actually help the burgers stick together and fill them with flavor.
Notice one of my new favorite sauces from my North Dakota bestie is used in this in place of steak sauce!
In a large bowl mix the ground beef and pork together. Add the Parmesan cheese, steak or barbeque sauce, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix well. This means get your hands on the meat. Don't think you can mix ground meat with a spoon!!
Once you have the meat ready, you will be ready to make the very thing patties that you will press together around bacon crumbles and then onions and mushrooms you sauteed in the bacon grease. It is dripping with pork juiciness.
The key is very thin patties that are about an inch bigger than your bun. Thin people. when you have them sandwiched, get them on the grill. We started them on aluminum foil in fear that I would have a burger that fell apart.
Bacon Burgers - Stuffed Bacon Cheeseburgers
- 3-4 slices of bacon
- ¼ onion chopped
- 4-5 button mushrooms sliced
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 T steak or barbeque sauce
- ¼ t garlic powder
- ¼ t pepper
- 4 slices of Provolone cheese
- 4 Onion Buns
- In a skillet over a medium heat, cut bacon into ½ inch pieces and fry until crisp. Remove bacon and reserve drippings in skillet to fry onion and mushrooms until tender. Set aside with bacon.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, cheese, sauce, and seasonings. Mix together with hands and form eight thin patties that are slightly larger than the buns.
- Place bacon, mushrooms, onions on four of the patties. Top with remaining patties and seal edges. Cook burgers on the grill for 5-8 minutes on each side. Do not flip more than once to prevent the burger from falling apart. Add cheese to burgers with a minute of grill time left.
- Arroz Con Pollo - Mexican Chicken and Rice with Queso - March 28, 2021
- Air Fryer Broccoli Recipe- Ninja Foodi Broccoli - March 25, 2021
- Air Fryer Ravioli - How to Make Toasted Ravioli in the Air Fryer - March 13, 2021