We can all pretend that we are always ready to whip up a meal for our starving kids. But, after being on the road or on a plane for a month straight, I would rather everyone just make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
When I came across the recipe for quick spicy beef burritos in my latest Gooseberry Patch Cookbook I am reviewing on the way home from a week on the beach, I knew even my kicking and screaming bad attitude towards cooking right now could handle it.
Don't we all have refried beans, diced tomatoes and chilies and taco seasoning in bulk? Or just me?
Of course, I always have literally hundreds of pounds of meat just laying around in one of my two chest freezers. I get the frozen pound of ground beef going with a quarter cup of diced onions.
Now, stop sneaking bites and start assembling. For a healthier option, grab whole wheat tortillas. If you are gluten free, go for the corn. If you are me and you are going with what you have, you will use run of the mill flour tortillas for the family.
Add shredded cheese and roll up tortillas and serve.
Quick Spicy Beef Burritos
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ c. diced onion
- 1-¼ ounce package of taco seasoning
- 16 ounce can refried beans
- 10 ounce can of diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Flour or corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown beef with onion.
- Drain off any excess grease and stir in the taco seasoning, beans and tomatoes and chilies. Simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Warm up flour tortillas or crisp up corn tortillas and fill with beef filling.
- Sprinkle with cheese and then roll up and serve immediately.
This recipe is from a cookbook given to me by Gooseberry Patch. The recipe commentary and opinions are mine.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021