As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of my favorite things about steakhouse is the mushrooms. I love slow cooked mushrooms with so much flavor. A few years ago I got my hands on a crock pot mushrooms and onions recipe that is the closest I have gotten to the steakhouse whole mushroom side dish. These mushrooms are one of my favorite low-carb carb side dish recipes.
There is this restaurant in western Indiana called the Beef House. I grew up going to the restaurant for special events or meetings with my parents. While it obviously has great, midwestern beef and some pretty legendary rolls and strawberry jam, it also has these amazing mushrooms. So amazing they only serve them in the evening. This makes me sad because most of the time we go there midday on the weekends. But no longer will I bee without my mushrooms. My friend shared a recipe with me that pretty much captures the flavor. Perfectly. These mushrooms are mind-blowingly good.
- Four pounds of mushrooms
- One large or two medium sweet onions
- Four cloves of garlic
- Red Wine
- One pound of butter
- Beef and chicken bouillon
- Dried thyme, dill, or other herb of your liking
- Worcestershire sauce
How to Make Steakhouse Mushrooms and Onions
Clean your mushrooms, slice your onions and mince your garlic and put all into a large six or seven-quart crock pot.
It is all about the fluid then. A cup of red wine, a cup of hot water, a pound of butter aka four sticks of butter, along with a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a teaspoon of dried herbs like dill or thyme, and four beef and four chicken bouillon cubes.
Now you might as well get some steaks ready to make to go along with these mushrooms.
Crock pot mushrooms and onions with red wine, butter and garlic make an incredible low-carb side dish after slow cooking for 12 hours.
- 4 pounds of whole button mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion or two small/medium onions sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 pound of butter 4 sticks, melted - Make sure it is the real stuff
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dill or thyme or other herb
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- Place mushrooms, onions and garlic in a six or seven quart crock pot.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over top of the mushrooms.
- Slow cook on low for at least 12 hours.