As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I don’t know when I was introduced to red velvet cake, but I don’t really remember life before a red velvet cake. Even in college, I remember my college roommate making me red velvet for my birthday. I think that was the moment I knew I also had the best roommate ever. For me the cake is all about the frosting. So, maybe the cream cheese icing is why I love red velvet cake so much. Which is why these red velvet cake mix brownies with cream cheese icing are truly the closest thing to a perfect food.
I sort of love my cake mix brownies with ganache frosting. Again for the frosting. I mean seriously, who doesn’t love ganache? But no worries, this cream cheese icing on the red velvet brownies is just as glorious.
Red Velvet Cake Mix Brownies Ingredients
To make red velvet cake mix brownies, you need the standard ingredients as the cake mix calls for: eggs, oil, water in addition to the red velvet cake mix. You just need to change up the amounts of each of these ingredients.
How to make Cake Mix Brownies
The red velvet cake mix brownies are made the same way, but naturally with a red velvet cake mix. From there you just add the egg, oil, and water.
The dough is thick, like a regular brownie mix. Spread it out in a 13 x 9 greased pan and then bake. It is while the red velvet cake mix brownies are baking you can make the best part, the cream cheese icing.
How to Make Cream Cheese Icing
The great thing about this icing is it is simple. Cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and your hand mixer will get you to pure bliss. Once the brownies are out and cooled, spread the icing out over the top of the brownies. And lick the bowl cleaning.
Cut and enjoy. Add sprinkles for Christmas, Valentines or 4th of July versions. It is the perfect Christmas treat. It comes pre-colored for the season. There is still plenty of time to make the red velvet cake mix brownies.
Cake Mix Recipes
Tips for Making Cake Mix Brownies with Cream Cheese Icing
- Have all your ingredients at room temperature. This will give you an easier time mixing and baking.
- It doesn’t matt what brand of cake mix you use. The cake mix sizes have changed. I made this recipe with a cake mix that was 18.25 ounces. If your cake mix is less than this amount of ounces, adjustments may need to be made.
- Full fat cream cheese is the best for the icing. Fat is the flavor. Don’t skimp now.
- 1, 18.25 ounce red velvet cake mix
- 1 egg beaten
- ⅓ cup oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 1, 8 ounce block of cream cheese room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Stir cake mix, egg, oil and water together in a bowl to make a thick batter.
- Spread batter in a greased 13x9 pan and back on 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Spread frosting or other desired frosting toppings.
- Cream the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla together
- When brownies are cooled spread icing over top of the brownies.
Affiliate Links Were Used.