Quick and easy recipes are must in my house and one of my secret weapons to do this is having smoked sausage on hand at all times. Cajun chicken alfredo with smoked sausage combines air fryer grilled chicken with andouille sausage pan sauteed in a skillet with garlic before being combined with a creamy parmesan cajun alfredo sauce. This is a great spicy pasta recipe that is quickly made on a busy weeknight thanks to air frying the chicken and cooking the pasta in the Instant Pot. It will quickly become your family's favorite dinner recipe if they are chicken alfredo lovers.
For an easy and quick recipe, this cajun alfredo has a gourmet feel as you plate up the dinner for your family. This is a spicy chicken alfredo recipe that can easily be altered to bring less heat yet plenty of flavors. Cajun chicken alfredo is taken up a notch when you slice up smoked sausage and saute it for extra flavor. These flavors come together for a rich and creamy chicken and smoked sausage alfredo.
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe are similar to many of my favorite recipes involving pasta and smoked sausage. The pasta dish is made with these simple ingredients including everything you need for a homemade alfredo sauce.
- Chicken breasts or thighs - I am normally a skinless boneless chicken thigh purchaser, but when breasts are on sale, I will buy them too. Either will work in this chicken and sausage Alfredo recipe.
- Smoked sausage or Andouille sausage - The preference for those not wanting spice, smoked sausage is the best choice for you. Andouille sausage will give you more spice.
- Fettucine, Linguine, or Spaghetti - Any type of pasta will work in this recipe but long noodles like fettuccine, linguine, or spaghetti are my family's preference.
- Cajun and creole seasoning - EIther seasoning will work. I prefer the cajun because I feel like it has more pepper flavors. Both have plenty of salt so no extra should be needed.
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian blend cheese
- Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken - While chicken broth an also be used, I like controlling the intensity of the broth with Better than Bouillon.
How to Make Chicken and Sausage Alfredo
To make this delicious alfredo you will start by making grilled chicken breasts with cajun seasoning. I used the Ninja Foodi Grill to make the grilled chicken.
While the chicken is grilling, saute smoked sausage cut into rounds. It will start to caramelize on the bottom of the pan. This will enhance the smoky and cajun flavors.
When the smoked sausage is browned on both sides of the rounds, remove it from the pan. Set aside and add the minced garlic to the pan. Continue to saute the garlic and add better than bouillon followed by water to deglaze the pan.
While the smoked sausage and garlic are sauteing, cook the pasta. I always cook my pasta in the Instant Pot. Then as the bits of the flavor deglaze, you can add the cream and cheese to make the creamy cajun alfredo sauce.
As the sauce comes to a slow boil, dump the cooked pasta into the alfredo sauce. Then slice the grilled chicken and add it as well as the smoked sausage to the pasta.
Stir the chicken and smoked sausage together before serving. Simmer until ready to serve. Go ahead and garnish with a bit of a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. More parmesan cheese never hurt anyone.
Variation to Chicken Alfredo
If spicy isn't your thing or if you are looking for different ways to make a white pasta recipe, here are some great alternatives.
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo - Just like the chicken tortellini alfredo with broccoli, you can make it with fettuccine noodles instead of tortellini.
- Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Spaghetti - This crock pot creamy chicken spaghetti is a great way to make chicken spaghetti in the crock pot, especially if you are feeding a big crowd!
- Ground Beef White Spaghetti - Looking for a way to get ground beef into a white spaghetti recipe? I have that covered for you too with this creamy white spaghetti with ground beef recipe.
Making this super easy and FAST recipe comes down to having the right equipment to make food fast. Here are my recommendations to make air fryer chicken and a pot big enough for this cajun alfredo to be combined in.
Easy Pasta Recipes
Cajun Smoked Sausage and Chicken Alfredo
- 1 lb breasts or thighs
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 16 ounces fettuccine, linguine, or spaghetti
- 3 teaspoons cajun or creole seasoning divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Chicken Flavors
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces Italian Cheese Blend
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese optional
- Coat the chicken in two teaspoons of the cajun seasoning. Then grill or saute the chicken until fully cooked to 165°. Set aside to rest.
- Cook the pasta according to the cooking instructions or in your Instant Pot.
- In a large skillet, add the smoked sausage sliced into rounds. Saute on both sides and then remove from pan and let rest with the chicken.
- Add the garlic to the skillet. Saute for a minute or two in the sausage grease. Then stir in the Better than Bouillon. Slowly pour the water into the skillet to deglaze. Next, slowly add heavy cream, heat till just bubbling. Stir in the additional teaspoon of cajun seasoning, parmesan cheese, and shredded Italian blend cheese.
- Pour the cooked pasta into the alfredo sauce. Stir the noodles into the sauce.
- Slice the chicken and it to the pasta with smoked sausage. Add to the pasta. Stir to combine.