This post is sponsored by the Glass Barn (glassbarn.org) Indiana Soybean and Corn Farmers but all thoughts and opinions are my own.
When it is hot and we have been outside all day the last thing you want is hot food. It is also when garden fresh vegetables are ripe for the picking. These two combinations are the reason for this Italian antipasto salad I created on a hot summer day recently.
Italian antipasto salad is a hearty dinner salad with a romaine lettuce base and filled up with salami, pepperoni, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, olives, banana peppers, artichoke hearts and cheese dressed with a homemade Italian dressing.
Italian Antipasto Salad
The great thing about this salad is you can add or remove the ingredients based on what you like. If you don’t like artichoke hearts, leave them out. If you love olives of every color, add more olives. For me, I use large slices of pepperoni, salami, and ham plus fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions. If I had mushrooms and bell peppers I would have added them too. I did have a can of banana pepper rings which add great tangy flavors with the olives. Top off with your favorite Italian style cheese or shredded parmesan.
Chop the romaine lettuce up and put in the bottom of a large bowl. Chop up the remaining fresh vegetables and place on top of the lettuce. Place the canned or jarred veggies on the lettuce as well. Slice up the meat and finish off the salad before adding the cheese.
This homemade Italian salad dressing is so simple to put together and marries with the flavors of this salad perfectly. Homemade Italian Salad dressing combines simple tangy red wine vinegar and lemon juice with dijon mustard and olive oil with Italian herbs and seasonings for a simple homemade dressing recipe.
I don’t know why I don’t make homemade salad dressings more often. This dressing was so simple and used ingredients I have on hand. Start by mixing the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and mustard together in a small jar. To the vinegar and oil add Italian herb seasonings, onion powder, garlic salt, and cracked pepper. Shake to combine and pour over the salad.
Italian Antipasto Salad with Homemade Italian Dressing
Italian Antipasto Salad
- 2 heads heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces pepperoni and salami, chopped
- 8 ounces deli ham, sliced
- 1/3 cup banana pepper rings
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/4 cup olives, green, black, or kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 whole red onion, sliced
- 1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Homemade Italian Dressing
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Tuscan Sunset Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Place the chopped lettuce in the bottom of a large bowl like a trifle bowl. Top off with the remaining ingredients for the salad.
- Toss to combine.
- In a small jar with a lid, combine the salad dressing ingredients.
- Place the lid on the jar and shake to combine.
- Pour over the salad and toss to completely coat the salad.
- May serve with croutons if not eating low carb.
Linked up at Meal Plan Monday.
- Bacon Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms – Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms - June 28, 2020
- Easy Summer Dinner Ideas - June 22, 2020
- The Ultimate Baked Tacos – Creamy Ground Beef Baked Tacos - June 13, 2020