Caramel Apple Cupcakes recipe is a semi-homemade cupcake that combines a spice cake mix with fresh apple and a caramel topping for the cake version of caramel apple. This caramel apple cupcakes recipe was inspired by a from-scratch recipe I found. When I got my Rachel Ray magazine in the mail, I was flipping through it when I came across the Caramel Apple Cupcakes. These looked so good I knew I needed to make 'em. However, I am more of a cake mix girl rather than a from-scratch cake kinda girl most days.
I knew I could create my own recipe with a cake mix. And boy did these Caramel Apple Cupcakes turn out good! Don't you just want one now?
Caramel Apple Cupcake Ingredients
To make these amazingly moist cupcakes, you will need a few pantry staples with a few fall favorites. Here is what you want to make sure you have on your grocery list to make these caramel apple cupcakes.
- Spiced Cake Mix - A spiced cake mix is best. If you don't have this, a yellow cake mix with a teaspoon of cinnamon could work as well.
- Apples - Honestly, a baking apple of any type is best. I used honey crisp because that is the apple I had on hand.
- Oil - Standard vegetable oil works just fine for this. Don't use olive oil as it will add an olive flavor.
- Eggs - Normal large eggs are what you need. The best is to let them warm up at room temperature to work the best.
- Caramels- Those Kraft caramels are what I always use. But any soft caramel you can melt will work.
- Heavy Cream - I am obsessed with heavy cream. You don't have to buy heavy cream just for this recipe. Half and half will work too.
How to Make Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Since a spiced cake mix and figured I could just add the shredded apples to the mix. But the trick, how much of a reduction in water would I need? But I have mastered this recipe.
Start by dumping the cake mix into a bowl and then peeling and shredding an apple over the cake mix. Using a hand shredder with the apple remaining whole has been the best technique for me.
Next, add the eggs, oil, and water to the spiced cake mix and shredded apples.
Mix the cake batter together with a hand mixer. Then line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers. The cake mix recipe says it makes 24 cupcakes. They lie. I filled my cupcake papers a little too full, but I only got 21 cupcakes. Make sure you don't overfill!
Bake them for 25-30 minutes on 350 degrees. Pull the cupcakes from the oven when a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cupcakes cool and make the caramel topping. Take 1-1 ½ cups of caramels and melt them in the microwave. Add a tablespoon or two of cream to make caramel sauce smooth. This part can be fun for kids to help dunk the top of the cupcakes in the caramel. It can also be messy so you have been warned.
The most effective way to "caramel frost" these are truly to dunk them into the caramel.
Then let them set. Eat these cupcakes the day you caramelize them. If you need them for the next day, wait to caramel glaze them.
Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix
- 2 whole apples, peeled and shredded
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 whole eggs
- 1.5 cups caramel pieces
- 2 tablespoons half and half cream
- Mix the cake mix, apples, water, oil, and eggs together.
- Line cupcake pans with liners and fill up ⅔ full with batter.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Melt caramel pieces and cream together in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until completely melted.
- Dip each cupcake into the caramel.
Do you have a great fall recipe? Let Gooseberry Patch know about it here!