Easy chicken and rice recipe is simple to put together right in the casserole dish you bake it in with two packages of Knorr's rice, cream of chicken soup, and bone-in chicken legs and thighs. This dish does take a while to bake, so you don't want to start making it late in the day, but man was this chicken and rice recipe so easy and so good. My family eats this chicken and rice or the Mexican chicken and rice recipe on the regular.
I love me some chicken and rice. Back when Cris and I did double momma freeze-o-rama, I made some chicken and rice. Of course, I couldn’t find a recipe to meet my needs, so I made it up. I have also made this recipe with mixed vegetables and also with broccoli.
Ingredients for Chicken and Rice
To make this super easy chicken and rice casserole you will want the following ingredients:
- Chicken pieces - Recommend bone-in chicken but boneless will work too
- Chicken Rice Packets - Knorr Chicken Rice Packets work perfectly. Any brand will work.
- Cream of chicken soup
- Broth or combination of water and Better than Bouillon
- Garlic Salt and Pepper Blend
- Vegetables - Broccoli is our favorite but any type of vegetable can work
How to Make Easy Chicken and Rice with Knorr Rice
To start making this easy chicken and rice casserole recipe, begin by dumping the packets of Knorr chicken rice in the bottom of a rectangular casserole dish that is greased.
Since the Knorr rice mixture comes seasoned, I don't actually season the rice combination at all. I mix together the cans of cream of chicken soup, chicken Better than Bouillon, and water. Pour over the rice. Then pour the vegetables you are using over the soup. In this version of chicken and rice, I used chopped-up fresh broccoli.
Stir the rice to combine with the soup and vegetables. Then, season the chicken generously with garlic salt and pepper then sprinkle with paprika. Arrange chicken on top of the rice mixture.
Cover and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer. The chicken needs to be cooked until an internal 165° temperature.
Tips for Making Chicken and Rice
- Can this be frozen? YES! I froze this for a month and pulled it out the day before I planned on making it.
- What if I don't like broccoli? You can totally substitute peas and carrot, green beans, or just leave vegetables out altogether.
- Can boneless chicken breast or thighs be substituted? Absolutely! They may not need quite as long to bake.
Easy Chicken Recipes
Chicken and Rice
- 8 pieces bone-in chicken pieces - chicken breast, chicken legs and/or thighs
- 2 packages Knorr Chicken Flavored Rice
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon chicken Better than Bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Spray a rectangle casserole dish with cooking spray. Dump the two packages of rice into the dish, spreading them out evenly across the bottom.
- Blend soup, Better than Bouillon and water together and dump over the rice. Pour the cut up broccoli over the top. Stir the soup, rice, and broccoli together.
- Season the chicken pieces with garlic salt and pepper and paprika. Lay chicken pieces over the rice.
- Bake covered for 60 minutes. Then finish cooking for another 30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°.