My kids love to help me in the kitchen. A lot of times I have knives and hot pans and little time. So, when I can take the time to let the kids help me, I do. We made cupcakes over the weekend, and Boo was eager to help. We made some very yummy strawberry inspired poke cake cupcakes.
Boo was happy to help make the cake mix.
Then it was on to the filling of the cupcakes. I let Boo fill them up. They need to be filled ⅔ of the way up. For a six-year-old boy, this was a lot of focus.
Bake according to the package directions. Let the cupcakes cool for 15 minutes and then poke the cupcakes with a fork several times about halfway down.
Heat one cup of water till boiling and add one 3 ounce package of strawberry jello. Stir until dissolved. Pour a spoonful over each cupcake.
Transfer to a jelly roll sheet and refrigerate for 3 hours. Grab a container of your favorite flavor of icing. Mine happens to be Duncan Hines Whipped fluffy white and chocolate icing. It is life changing. I used the fluffy white for these.
If you have the tools to make it look pretty, know yourself out. I had a butter knife. I then quartered some strawberries for the top as well.
Strawberry Poke Cake Cupcakes
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 1 small box of jello I used strawberry
- 1 cup water
- 1 can of vanilla whipped icing
- Bake cupcakes as directed by the box direction.
- Remove from oven and cool cupcakes.
- Poke each cupcake 2 or 3 times with a fork to have holes for jello to run into.
- Boil 1 cup of water and mix jello into the water till completely resolve.
- Spoon jello water over each cupcake.
- Refrigerate to cool again.
- Top with whipped icing.
The kids loved them and they were fairly easy to make. Boo was so proud of himself for helping. I am guessing we will be making them again before the strawberry season is over!