I am obsessed with creamed spinach. It is sort of like shrimp and grits. If creamed spinach is on a menu, I am ordering it. The downside of creamed spinach is it is made with roux, butter and flour, to create the cream sauce base. I have developed my gluten-free keto creamed spinach recipe to enjoy my favorite side dish from home.
Quickly made on the stove top and browned under the broiler, low-carb creamed spinach is also a perfect side dish for a busy weeknight meal too.
Keto Creamed Spinach Ingredients
The simplicity of the recipes is what gives this keto creamed spinach recipe so much flavor. Low-Carb Creamed Spinach is a simple gluten-free side dish. This creamed spinach recipe uses the following ingredients:
- Fresh or frozen spinach. Then steamed until wilted and liquids drained.
- Butter. Salted will work just fine but make sure cream and salt are the only two ingredients.
- Heavy whipping cream. Standard HWC.
- Mozzarella Cheese. Shredded and doesn't have to be part-skim.
- Parmesan Cheese. Grated or shredded will both work. Use what you normally buy.
- Garlic. Fresh if you have it but dried or powder will work just fine.
- Onion. Diced finely. Shallots would work as well. I normally have sweet onions on hand, so that is what I used.
How to Make Keto Creamed Spinach
In a saucepan or small dutch oven, melt the butter and add diced onions and minced garlic to the pan. As the onion and garlic begin to brown, steam the fresh spinach. A microwave steamer works great for steaming spinach.
When the onions and garlic brown add the cream to the pan. Stir to combine before adding the steamed spinach to the pan. Bring the combination to a scald.
Stir the steamed spinach, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese into the milk and onion mixture. Use a generous amount of pepper at this point as well. Stir to combine and continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
When the mozzarella has melted completely, top the keto creamed spinach with more shredded parmesan. Stick the pan under the oven broiler to brown the cheese and melt it. The additional caramelization to the cheese just enhances the low carb creamed spinach even more. It is amazing what a little time under a broiler can do for a dish.
Little bits of minced garlic came to the top and crisped up under the broiler. I may have just wanted to scrape all the browned cheese off the top of this keto creamed spinach.
Every single bit was creamy and delectable. I could not get enough. Luckily my family isn't crazy about creamed spinach so I got it all to myself.
Looking for more keto or gluten-free recipes? Be sure to check out a few of our great gluten-free side dish recipes too.
Easy Keto Recipes
Keto Loaded Mashed Cauliflower
Sautéed Asparagus with Bacon and Onions
Instant Pot Butter Beef - Keto, Low-Carb Recipe
Keto Creamed Spinach
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach, one bag
- ¼ cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan or small dutch oven, melt the tablespoon of butter and add onions and garlic to the pan. When the onions and garlic begin to brown and become translucent, add heavy whipping cream.
- As the onions and garlic saute, steam the fresh spinach in a microwave steamer for three minutes. When done, squeeze the excess water from the spinach.
- Continue to stir the cream and onion mixture as you add the steamed spinach and cheeses to the pan. Only use ¼ cup of the parmesan in the spinach dish. Season with the salt and pepper.
- When cheese is completely melted, add the remaining parmesan cheese to the top of the keto creamed spinach. Place pan under the oven broiler until cheese melts and browns.
Shared on Weekend Potluck and Meal Plan Monday.
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Tapioca Salad - Pink Fluff - March 5, 2023
- Arroz Con Carne Molida Recipe - Mexican Rice with Ground Beef Skillet - February 27, 2023
- Baked Tortellini with Meat Sauce - February 19, 2023
This was amazing! The kids said to make more next time. It was delicious and easy to make. Thanks for the recipe.
You used half and half for heavy whipping cream?
I was out of heavy whipping cream when I took a picture of the ingredients. If you are keto use heavy whipping cream. If you aren’t keto, use either!
Doubling the recipe and using ingredients I had on hand, I used two bunches of fresh spinach. When it steamed down, I thought it might not be enough so added a couple of cups of baby greens. Also, did not have mozzarella, so substituted mild cheddar.
This dish was so easy, quick and delicious. Be careful with the salt as the Parmesan adds a lot of salt.
Doubling the recipe just served six of us.
The recipe looks great. Just wondering if I need to grate my own cheese or if it will work with pregrayed cheeses. 😊
I just made this for dinner and it was AMAZING! My Gianfranco and I started keto today. This was easy to make and my parents also loved it. (they aren't doing keto.)
I'm sure I'll make this again next week and the next!
I used coconut milk instead of the cream...added some laughing cow cheese !
It was sooo terrific!
Delicious! I had a ton of spinach to use and made this. I've never had creamed spinach before but i can tell you now I'm a fan.
Love it but where do I find nutrition?
Nutrition information is updated. Sorry about that!
This recipe was excellent!
So delish, really love that I could find a gluten-free recipe and it still has the amazing creamed spinach flavor I love. Thank you!