Grilled Prosciutto-wrapped asparagus is something we live on all summer long. In the wintertime, I have even been known to bake these prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Simple ingredients make the best food and thinly sliced prosciutto wrapped around asparagus make the perfect side dish any time of year, but straight from the grill makes slightly smoky flavored grilled prosciutto-wrapped asparagus.
How to Make Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Start with some fresh asparagus spears. Break off the bottom ends and wrap in prosciutto.
Prosciutto you ask? I bought this package of Italian meats at Costco. Majority of grocery stores, including Aldi, sell thinly sliced prosciutto.
This is Prosciutto. It looks a lot like a cross between bacon and ham. Wrap the meat thinly around asparagus. No need for seasoning or butter or oil. Trust me.
Toss asparagus wrapped in proscuitto on the grill. Either indirect heat or even a little direct heat will work if you are in a hurry.
Let them cook until the asparagus is tender. I like my asparagus pretty crisp. Do not cook over a high direct flame. Really try to cook them on a 350-degree grill in an indirect heat location for 10-15 minutes. The prosciutto will catch on fire. Then get ready for some yumminess.
But beware, little fingers will want to try a piece immediately.
It was a perfect side to some shish-kabobs and red potatoes. We love the teriyaki beef kabobs.
Trust me, there wasn't any left. Even the anti-vegetable husband had two!
Substitutions for Grilled Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto
The thing with grilled vegetables is you can substitute different veggies and different meats based on what you like or have on hand.
- Grilled Green Beans wrapped in Prosciutto - replace the aspargus with green beans for the grilled green beans wrapped in prosciutto side dish.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus - make a bundle of 4-6 asparagus and wrap in a piece of bacon.
See the sautéed asparagus, onions, and bacon on my website!
Grilling equipment matters. Here are some of my favorite grill accessories, seasonings, and tools.
Summer Side Dishes
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 8 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- Separate the thinly slice prosciutto into strips about a third of the of the width.
- Wrap the prosciutto strips around individual stalks of asparagus.
- Season with black pepper and a little salt.
- Grill at 350 on indirect heat for 10-15 minutes or until the asparagus begins to soften. May also bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.