During the summer zucchini gets to the point where you just don't know what else to make with it which is why this lemon poppy seed zucchini bread came into existence. A loaf of traditional zucchini bread is always one of the first things to make, but by August everyone is looking for a new way to use the zucchini. I love lemon everything in the summer too. It was an easy leap to make this yummy lemon poppyseed zucchini bread recipe.
Lemon poppy seed zucchini bread is made with your traditional zucchini bread ingredients plus fresh lemon juice, poppyseeds, and almond extract. The texture is light and the flavors delicate to go together perfectly with the zucchini.
This was inspired by my almond orange poppy seed bread on this site. I am totally obsessed with orange or lemon bread, muffins, or scones. Almond flavored anything is also a weakness of mine. So this lemon with a hint of almond flavors is my new favorite zucchini bread recipe.
Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Bread Ingredients
This zucchini bread recipe is a made-from-scratch recipe. No mixes are used in this. So, don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients.
- vegetable oil
- Almond exctract
- baking powder
- baking soda
- poppy seeds
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
This bread recipe is so easy to make. I always forget how easy baking quick bread is compared to cookies or a layered cake. Most of the things we made during covid. To make this bread, you will want to start by prepping the zucchini. You can peel the zucchini or not, and then shred it. Then you can quickly prepare the zucchini bread.
Whisk the sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, lemon juice, zest, and almond extract.
Then stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Stir in the shredded zucchini and poppyseeds.
Pour into a greased or parchment-lined bread pan. Place into oven at 350 Fahrenheit.
Bake the bread for 40-50 minutes. In a convection oven, it will take closer to 40 minutes. In a conventional oven, it will probably take closer to 50 minutes. Regardless, when a toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done.
Let the lemon poppy seed zucchini bread cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring it to a wire rack. Make the glaze by mixing lemon juice and powdered sugar together. Then pour over the cooled zucchini bread.
Lemon Zucchini Bread Substitutions
Want to change up the flavors of lemon zucchini bread, here are a few great ways to make really great zucchini bread in a lot of various ways.
- Extract- Almond and lemon are great combinations. But vanilla extract could easily be used if you don't like almond flavoring. If you don't have fresh lemon juice, lemon extract can also be used.
- Citrus - Orange can easily be substituted for lemon. In addition, lime and lime zest could be used in the recipe as well.
- Poppy Seeds - If you don't like poppy seeds or have them, they can easily just be left out of this recipe.
The base recipe without citrus will be yummy too. Be sure to use vanilla or almond extract if you leave the lemon out completely.
Storage of Quick Breads
To keep the bread moist, store it in a plastic or glass air-tight container. you can also wrap the bread in plastic wrap or store it in a Ziploc bag. Storing it in the refrigerator will also keep the bread fresh longer.
Easy Zucchini Recipes
Looking for more ways to use up zucchini. Here are a few of the best zucchini recipes.
Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 whole lemon zested
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Whisk together sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, almond extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then add the zucchini and poppy seeds. Stir until just combined
- Pour batter into a greased or parchmant lined 9x5 inch loaf pan filling. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before glazing.
- For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Pour over the bread.
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Tapioca Salad - Pink Fluff - March 5, 2023
- Arroz Con Carne Molida Recipe - Mexican Rice with Ground Beef Skillet - February 27, 2023
- Baked Tortellini with Meat Sauce - February 19, 2023
Leave a Reply