Roasted Butternut squash soup with smoked sausage is a savory, creamy roasted butternut squash soup with hints of chili, sage, onion and feta for a delish fall soup. Every fall I become obsessed with butternut squash. I love it when restaurants have butternut squash on the menu. I always have thought it would be too hard to make at home. But this is a simple method to make a pureed butternut squash soup.
The aroma that came from roasting the butternut squash made me hungry before I was even close to dinner time. By the time it was time to eat, I could barely wait and snuck several spoonful from the pan.
Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients
The ingredients for this butternut squash soup include the base ingredients:
- Butternut Squash
- Rubbed Sage
- Chicken base and water or broth
- Avocado oil
- Salt and Pepper
In addition to these base ingredients I recommend the following to also be used, but understand some people might want to be just stick to the base ingredients.
- Cream cheese
- Feta cheese
- Smoked sausage or bacon
How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Smoked Sausage
To make this soup, start by cutting the stem off the butternut squash and cut it in half lengthwise. Then scoop out the seeds. Place in a baking dish. Next, mix one tablespoon of oil, the cumin, sage, chipotle, and teaspoon of salt together in a small bowl.
Brush the oil mixture over the butternut squash. Peel the garlic cloves and drop them into the hole where the seeds were removed.
Bake the squash on 400° for 35-45 minutes or until it is fork tender. While the squash bakes, dice the onions and begin to saute in a Dutch Oven or soup pot with the remaining tablespoon of oil. When the squash is done baking, scoop it out of the skin and put into the pan with the onions.
Add the chicken base and one cup of water to the pot and stir together. Then pour it into your food processor or blender. My Ninja blender short and squatty blender pitcher worked perfect for this. Then pulse the blender to puree.
Transfer back into the Dutch oven. Add the remaining cup of water and salt. If you are using the cream cheese, add this now as well. Then let simmer for another 10 minutes, covered. While it simmers, fry the smoked sausage up for garnish on the soup.
When you are ready to eat, use a large ladle to spoon the soup into bowls. Then garnish with feta cheese crumbles and slices of the smoked sausage.
Take the leftover chipotle oil you used to brush the butternut squash and drip several drops of it on the soup as well to add some additional heat to the soup as well.
Garlic Brown Sugar Pork Chops with Sweet Potatoes and Red Skin Potatoes
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Smoked Sausage
- Food Processor
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese optional
- 8 ounces smoked sausage
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Cut the butternut squash in half and remove the seeds. Place in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the one tablespoon oil, cumin, sage, chipotle, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Also peel the garlic but keep whole. Place the garlic in the holes of the squash where the seeds were removed.
- Brush the squash with the oil and seasoning mixture. Reserve a small amount for garnish. Then bake for 35-45 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the squash bakes, dice the onions and put in a soup pot or Dutch oven with 1 tablespoon oil and saute until tender.
- When the butternut squash is tender, scoop out of the skin and put into the pot with the onion. Mix the chicken base and one cup of water into the pot.
- Transfer into your food processor or blender and puree. When the mixture is smooth, return to the Dutch oven or pot. Stir in another cup of water and the additional teaspoon of salt and the pepper. If using the cream cheese, mix in now as well. Stir and let cook for another 10 minutes.
- Cook the smoked sausage in a frying pan while the soup continues to cook.
- When ready to serve garnish the soup in soup bowls with feta cheese and slices of smoked sausage.
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Tapioca Salad - Pink Fluff - March 5, 2023
- Arroz Con Carne Molida Recipe - Mexican Rice with Ground Beef Skillet - February 27, 2023
- Baked Tortellini with Meat Sauce - February 19, 2023
Leave a Reply