To make this pie, start by cutting up 5 cups of strawberries and 2 stalks of peeled and diced rhubarb. Dump it in a large 8-cup bowl
Then combine the flour, sugars, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Stir together.
Once the flour and sugar mixture is combined, dump over the strawberries and rhubarb. Then mix into the strawberries and rhubarb.
In the meantime grab a pie crust. Let's not beat around the bush. I buy my pie crust in a red box with the words Pillsbury across it. It tastes good and leaves no dishes for me to wash. Prep the crust and chill for ten minutes. Then add the berry mixture.
Then make the crumble top with 3 tablespoons of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and ⅛ teaspoon salt mixed together then incorporating 1 tablespoon of softened butter. Sprinkle over top. This by far is one of my favorite parts besides the fruit. Love, love crumble-top pies.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 5 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 stalks rhubarb, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 9 inch pie crust
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine the strawberries and rhubarb in a bowl and set aside.
- Sift sugars, flour, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon together. Stir into strawberry and rhubarb mixture.
- Place the pie crust in a nine-inch pan. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the dry crumb topping ingredients and cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Spoon the fruit filling into the crust. Dot with the butter. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the filling and butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until the pie is golden.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.