Strawberry rhubarb pie is a phenomenon in the spring and early summer in the midwest and this crumb topped version of the sweet and tart pie is so easy to make. The results in this strawberry rhubarb pie recipe were mouthwatering. It was a combination
I was happy to find the recipe for the Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie in my Gooseberry Patch Farmer's Markets Favorites.
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
To make this pie, start by cutting up 5 cups of strawberries and 2 stalks of peeled and diced rhubarb. Dump it in a large 8-cup bowl
Then combine the flour, sugars, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Stir together.
Once the flour and sugar mixture is combined, dump over the strawberries and rhubarb. Then mix into the strawberries and rhubarb.
In the meantime grab a pie crust. Let's not beat around the bush. I buy my pie crust in a red box with the words Pillsbury across it. It tastes good and leaves no dishes for me to wash. Prep the crust and chill for ten minutes. Then add the berry mixture.
Next cube up about a tablespoon and a half of butter and dot on top.
Then make the crumble top with 3 tablespoons of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and ⅛ teaspoon salt mixed together then incorporating 1 tablespoon of softened butter. Sprinkle over top. This by far is one of my favorite parts besides the fruit. Love, love crumble-top pies.
Then it bakes. 400 for 50-60 minutes. Let it cool for about 2 hours before cutting.
But when you cut it, you will love it!! Love it. My husband didn't but that is just because he "thinks" he doesn't like rhubarb. Silly man. Who wouldn't love this!
More Dessert Recipes
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 5 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 stalks rhubarb, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 9 inch pie crust
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine the strawberries and rhubarb in a bowl and set aside.
- Sift sugars, flour, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon together. Stir into strawberry and rhubarb mixture.
- Place the pie crust in a nine-inch pan. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the dry crumb topping ingredients and cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Spoon the fruit filling into the crust. Dot with the butter. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the filling and butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until the pie is golden.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.