Well, as a working mom, quick meals are a necessity. Lucky for me there are lots of quick meal quick books out there. A few of my favorites happen to be Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks. Since real people are the ones submitting the recipes, you know they have been tried and tested to be good! And this week's Hunk of Meat Monday Recipe is Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese Skillet.
The recipe was adapted from one I found in GP's Meals in Minutes cookbook that I have had for several years now.
The original recipe had been Skillet Ham & Cheese, but I had smoked sausage that needed to be used. I didn't think the author would mind a substitution!
Begin with the veggies.
As they are sautéing, chop up the smoked sausage into slices.
Once the vegetables are tender, add the flour to form a paste.
Slowly add milk. Add macaroni and sausage.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
Mix in cheese and sour cream into the skillet.
Mix thoroughly. Enjoy!
Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese Skillet
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 cups milk
- 14-16 ounces smoked sausages, sliced
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Swiss Cheese
- Saute onions and peppers in butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour and salt to form a roux.
- Slowly whisk in the milk to form a thick sauce.
- Add the ham and uncooked macaroni to the sauce. Bring mixture to a boil, stir constantly.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and cheese until cheese is completely melted. DO NOT LET BOIL.
Do you have your own meaty recipe? Link it up and visit other's to get great go-to recipes. Grab the button and let people know where to find other recipes like yours.
Also shared on Meal Plan Monday.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021