As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Like some of you, I am a tiny bit addicted to Pinterest. There are just so many great things pinned out there in the Pinterest world. So, when it was announced that this month’s Crazy Cooking Challenge would be chocolate chip cookies, I knew I could find a recipe to make on on Pinterest. This time of year makes me crave my friend, Megan’s pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. So, I began my hunt for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies on pinterest. And then I found these. What drew me to this recipe was that the girl who ate everything makes her cookies with butter instead of vegetable oil. I have to admit, the dairy farmer connection makes me want to use butter more than the normal person. These pumpkin chocolate chip cookies with brown sugar icing did not disappoint!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cream the sugars and butter together.
Grab a can of pumpkin. Scoop out a cup of it.
Add the pumpkin, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the creamed sugars.
Sift together 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon each of baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and 1/4 tsp salt. Then mix into the wet ingredients.
Then the recipe called for 1 cup of chocolate chips. I might have added 2 cups. They slipped.
Now, this dough is pretty sticky. So, I sprayed the cookie spoon with cooking spray to help the dough come out a bit easier. Once the cookies are on the pan, bake them for 10-12 minutes on 350 degrees. I baked them till the edges were brown.
I cooled them on wire racks.
Brown Sugar Icing
Start by mixing 3 tablespoons of butter with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Heat until thick and bubbly. Then remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
Then add 1/4 cup of milk and mix together.
Then slowly start adding about 2 cups of powdered sugar.
When cookies were cooled, I picked them up and dunked the tops into the icing. It was easier than icing with a knife. However, you did have some run over of the icing onto the counter.
But, that just left some for me to wipe up with my fingers. I don’t ever complain about an extra swipe of frosting.
These cookies are definitely kid approved!!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies with Brown Sugar Icing
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 T butter
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. milk
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Cream together the white sugar, brown sugar, and butter. Add the pumpkin, vanilla, and egg. Mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to the pumpkin mixture.
- Stir in the milk chocolate chips.
- The dough may be very wet still. Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes depending on how large your cookies are. Let the cookies cool then frost.
- In a saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar over medium to med-high heat until bubbling and thick.
- Cool 10 minutes. Stir in the milk. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spoon frosting over cooled cookies or dip cookies, top-down into the icing.
Looking for other great chocolate chip cookies? Be sure to go over to the Crazy Cooking Challenge and check others out. Be sure to “Like” my recipe the best. You know you will!