Crock pot sloppy joes for a crowd is a large batch of sloppy joes recipe when you are looking for a recipe to feed a bunch of hungry people. Have you ever needed to feed hungry teenagers? A field full of farmers? Wanted to make a meal that you could double, triple, quadruple to freeze the leftovers? These crock pot sloppy joes for a crowd are just what you need when you need a recipe to feed a bunch of hungry people!
These crock pot sloppy joes for a crowd are just what you need when you need a recipe to feed a bunch of hungry people! I had to feed a bunch of teenagers one Sunday after church. I seriously didn't know how was going to get it all done. With a little brainstorming, I came to a great concept. This is now my go-to way to make ground beef and sloppy joes.
Large Batch Sloppy Joe Ingredients
The ingredients for this large batch of sloppy joe are more than just brown sugar, ketchup, and some mustard. These ingredients slow cook all day for a rich flavored sloppy joe.
- Ground Beef and Pork - I actually like using a combination of both hamburger and ground pork. You can just use the ground beef you like. Ground turkey could also be used.
- Onions - White or sweet onions work best for this recipe.
- Celery - Celery chopped up just gives more
- Bell Pepper - Green bell pepper is what I tend to use becuase they are the cheapest. However, red, yellow, or orange bell peppers will also work.
- Tomato Soup - The good old canned tomato soup. Nothing fancy needed here.
- Tomato Paste or Sauce - You need rougly 3-4 cups of sauce. You can use paste and then add water to it to get to the three cups.
- Ketchup - Traditional ketchup works just fine. Whatever brand you prefer.
- Mustard - Regular yellow mustard works the best here. In a pinch, you can als
- Barbecue Sauce - Your favorite barbecue sauce works. Spicier sauces will result in spicier sloppy joes.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Brown Sugar - Light brown sugar is my go-to version. Dark brown sugar will work just fine too.
- Dry Mustard - If you don't have dry mustard, use extra liquid mustard.
- Chili Powder - Your level of heat is your choice. A mild chili powder works just fine for this sloppy joe recipe.
- Garlic Powder - Fresh garlic can also be used in place of the garlic powder.
How to Make Crock Pot Sloppy Joes for a Crowd
This can also be a one-pot wonder! I actually put frozen ground beef in the crock pot overnight. When I woke up it was nicely browned. Once I broke it up and drained the fat off, I put the beef back in the crock pot.
Then I put the crock pot back on low and let it cook for four hours. It was ready for a great lunch after church with several families from church. And now I have three meals in the freezer waiting for me too! We love to make coney dogs with our leftover sloppy joes meet too.
Need a smaller sized recipe for sloppy Joes? Well, do I have the easiest crock pot sloppy Joes recipe for you. Check out my all in one pot crock pot Sloppy Joes recipe.
Leftover Sloppy Joe Recipes
Here are great recipes to use leftover sloppy joe sauce.
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes for a crowd
- 5 lbs hamburger browned
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 4 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2, 14.5 oz cans of tomato sauce
- 2, 10 oz cans of tomato soup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- For a juicier, looser sloppy joe sandwich, use four pounds of meat. For a less juicy sandwich, use six pounds of meat.
- Put all the ingredients into the crock pot, stir to combine fully.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve on buns.