Red wine crock pot beef roast is a juicy and flavorful beef roast thanks to a quick pan-sear on the beef roast and with caramelized onions and mushrooms then slow-cooked in red wine all day. This beef roast is hands down one of my favorite crock pot beef roast recipes.
The crock pot is crucial for us to have a hot meal on a weeknight. Otherwise, our hot meal would be frozen pizza and microwave meals too many nights. And when I can open a bottle of wine to cook a meal because the ingredient list calls for it, I am excited. I love this red wine crock pot beef roast with mushrooms and onions.
Red Wine Beef Roast with Mushrooms and Onions Ingredients
- Beef Roast – Can be a chuck roast, arm roast, shoulder roast, sirloin roast or anything except a rolled rump roast.
- Steak Seasoning
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Red Wine
- Olive Oil
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Beef Broth
How to Make Crock Pot Red Wine Beef Roast
I started with a roast that was 2-3 pounds. It was, of course, frozen, so I defrosted it in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Then I grabbed my favorite steak seasoning and rubbed it on both sides of the roast.
I then heated up a large skillet and put about a tablespoon or two of oil in the skillet.
Then transfer the roast to the crock pot. I love using the crock pot bags for easy clean up on weeknights.
Keep the pan over a low heat and put an onion cut into 8 hunks on the bottom of the pan.
See all that flavorful goodness left on the bottom of the pan? I wanted to somehow get that all captured. After a quick scan of the kitchen, I noticed a half a bottle of red wine leftover from the previous night. I poured about 1/2 cup of the wine into the pan with the onions.
Cook the onions and mushrooms until all the bits are off the bottom of the pan.
Pour the mushrooms, onions and reduced wine over the beef roast.
Cook for 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high. After the school and work day, play practice and ballet, this was a welcomed meal. I served it over top of some instant mashed potatoes. Yes, instant. I’m not superwoman.
The great thing about cooking a big hunk of meat on Monday is that leftovers easily and quickly make meals for the following nights of the week. This crock pot beef roast was perfect for leftovers. And easy to make with lots of flavors.
Leftover Beef Roast Recipes
Crock Pot Beef Roast with Mushrooms and Onions
- 1, 2-3 pound beef roast
- 2 tablespoons of steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion cut into eight chunks
- 8-12 button mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can of beef broth
- Rub steak seasoning on both sides of the roast.
- Coat a hot skillet with olive oil and sear both sides for 2-3 minutes. Pour Worcestershire Sauce over the roast as it sears.
- Move roast to crock pot. Place onions and mushrooms to skillet and pour wine over top. Stir and scrape bits off the bottom of the skillet for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour onions, mushrooms, and wine over beef roast in crock pot. Cover with cream of mushroom soup and beef broth.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Can’t wait to see wait you all have planned for the new year in your kitchens!
Affiliate links were used in this post.