This easy Crock Pot Chicken Taco Bowls recipe that can feed a crowd and is gluten-free. This recipe will be your version of your favorite burrito bowl as it has become a favorite for my family.
The great thing about this recipe is how versatile it can be to make and use.
Crock Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
The basics of the recipe is a pound to a pound and a half of meat, which I used boneless skinless chicken thighs but can easily have breasts, beef or pork roast substituted, Rotel, canned tomatoes, green chiles, black beans, corn and taco seasoning. If you don't like corn or chiles, they can easily be left out. I also doubled this recipe, so I started with three pounds of chicken thighs.
I smashed and peeled five garlic cloves after I placed the chicken thighs in the bottom of the crock pot. Then I began pouring in the rest of the ingredients.
Then I poured over one 4-ounce can of green chiles and one can of black beans. Since I was making this for a crowd, I didn't double the beans or chiles in case someone didn't like beans or chiles it would be easier for them to pick them out.
At this point, you can eat or let it set on low till you are ready to eat. If it starts to get a little dry, just add chicken broth or water so it doesn't dry out. This will give you time to cook the rice and prep the toppings. Use the same toppings you would for your tacos.
To make the bowls, just layer rice followed by the chicken and then your toppings.
How to Use Leftover Taco Chicken Meat
Turn it into enchiladas. Or freeze the chicken to pull out later on. Add more chicken broth to the chicken mixture and make it into this low-carb chicken tortilla soup.
Crock Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- 1.5 lb chicken breasts and/or thighs turkey breast, beef or pork roasts can be substituted
- 2-3 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 10 ounce can Rotel
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can green chiles
- 14 ounce can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup taco seasoning 1 envelope
- rice for four servings
- taco toppings cheese, veggies, sour cream, etc
- Place chicken on the bottom of the crock pot and put garlic cloves on top of chicken.
- Pour remaining ingredients over the top and stir together leaving chicken settled on the bottom. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stir ingredients and shred chicken. Eat immediately or continue to cook on low adding water if liquids begin to evaporate.
- Cook rice according to package directions and build bowls by layering rice, then chicken mixture and top with vegetables, cheese, sour cream or other ingredients you would typically put on tacos.
What do you have cooking this week? Be sure to link up and grab the #hunkofmeatmonday button over on the right.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021