When it comes to Mexican cuisine, there's no shortage of delicious options, and today, we'll be diving into a delightful trio of flavors most Mexican restaurants call Arroz Con Carne Asada: Mexican Rice, Steak, and Queso. While arroz con pollo AKA acp is a fan favorite for so many, this steak version is sure to be a favorite too.
This was inspired by my arroz con pollo and arroz con carne molida on Beyer Eats and Drinks. These recipes are easy Mexican rice recipes that you can add chicken or ground beef or steak to and top off with Mexican cheese sauce or queso.
Arroz Con Carne Asada Ingredients
Looking for a simple way to make the Arroz Con Carne? Then I have the recipe. Looking for gourmet version of Mexican rice and steak? Probably not the recipe you are looking for.
- Mexican Rice: For this recipe, I used the Old Elpaso Cheesy Mexican Rice. Any packaged Mexican rice will work.
- Steak - Flank, strip, or sirloin steaks are the steak cuts I recommend. But, you can use your preferred steak of choice or even sliced cube steaks or stew meat.
- Taco Seasoning: This is to season the steak after you cook it. Adobo seasoning can also be used instead of taco seasoning.
- Water: Obviously, this rice needs to cook.
- Queso Cheese: The white delicious goodness. I know your grocery store has it in plastic tubs. My Sam's club has the best deal on queso cheese.
- Salt and Pepper - Or chipotle seasoning. You need salt and pepper for the steak, but I used chipotle seasoning
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Arroz Con Carne - Recipe Instructions
This was made on the stove top and grill but could easily be made all in the house. These simple directions will get you on the way to a delicious a Mexican arroz con carne. To begin, lay the steaks out to get the chill off of them before you cook them.
Begin to make the rice for the arroz portion by melting butter in a sauce pan and then brown the rice for 2-3 minutes.
After the rice has browned, add the water and seasoning to the rice and cook as the instructions say.
Season the steaks and put on a medium high heat grill. Cook to the temperature you prefer your steaks. Prep a cutting board with butter and taco seasoning to lay the steaks on when they are cooked.
When the steaks are cooked, lay them on the cutting board prepped with the butter and seasoning. Slice and toss in the butter and seasoning.
Finally, assemble the arroz con carne. Start by dishing the Mexican rice in the bottom of a shallow bowl or plate. Then place the sliced steak on top of the rice. Finally drizzle the queso over the top of the steak. And the results are arroz con carne just like you would get at your local Mexican Restaurant.
Hint: let the steak rest for five minutes before slicing. This will make it the juiciest steak. Also, remove the rice from the heat about 3-5 minutes before it is done and it will keep cooking until the steak is done cooking if this rice is WAY ahead of the steak in timing.
If you are needing to make this Mexican rice and steak dinner low-carb, without red meat or even vegetarian, here are some recommendations.
- Cauliflower Rice - instead of rice, you can use cauliflower rice. Mix Mexican shredded cheese and canned tomatoes and chiles.
- Arroz Con Pollo - use grilled chicken instead of steak for the arroz con pollo version.
- Vegetarian - the meat can replaced with a plant-based burger, black beans, fajita style veggies, or tofu to make this vegetarian
Looking to change this arroz con carne recipe up or even make it a bit more variety, here are some ways to try it.
- Add Vegetables - add fajita style vegetables like sliced bell peppers, onions, garlics and even mushrooms to the dish. Saute the veggies in oil in. a skillet and layer over the rice before adding the steak.
- Grandules - add peas to the rice for an arroz con grandules base for the steak. Corn can also be added.
- Extra Cheesy - add shredded cheese to the rice fore the Mexican rice to be extra cheesy.
See this Meixcan rice and ground beef skillet on my website!
Equipment and Supplies
Whether it is the Mexican Cheesy rice or the pan I make the rice in, here is what I need to make Arroz Con Carne. Checkout the arroz con carne supplies.
Leftovers are amazing to eat so be sure to save them. Either put them in small containers to eat individually or put in a large refrigerator container to eat as a whole meal again. Keep the leftovers for 3-5 days.
To ensure your rice isn't overly sticky, quit cooking the rice about five minutes before the directed instructions on the box or bag. Keep the pan covered and let set for another 10 minutes or ready to serve. Stir before serving or dishing up.
Most of us in the United States associate Arroz Con Carne with Mexican food, however there is other Latin American and South American countries with their own version of Arroz con pollo and arroz con carne asada.
Related Mexican Recipes
Looking for other Mexican recipes like this? Try these:
These are some other steak recipes I love:
Arroz Con Carne Asada - Mexican Rice and Steak with Cheese
- 2 pounds steaks
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 packages Old Elpaso Cheesy Mexican Rice
- 4 Tablespoons Butter divided
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup queso cheese dip
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat or 400℉. Set the steaks out 30 minutes before you plan on grilling them.
- Season the steaks with just salt and pepper.
- Place a sauce pan over a medium high heat. Add two tablespoons of butter and melt it. Then pour in the rice from two boxes of Mexican cheesy rice. Brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour 5 cups of water over the rice. Stir in the flavor packets. When it comes to a boil, turn to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir throughout the cooking process.
- Grill the steak to the temperature of your liking. For medium steak cook for about 5-7 minutes and turn over and finish cooking another 5 minutes over a 350-400℉ grill.
- Prepare a cutting board by laying thinly sliced butter over it and sprinkling taco seasoning on the butter. When you pull the steaks off the grill, lay on the butter and taco seasoning. Let rest for five minutes.
- Slice the steak after five minutes and toss in the butter and taco seasoning.
- Serve by spooning the rice in a bowl or on a plate. Then top with steak pieces, and drizzle with the queso cheese.