How do you get your meat and potato loving family members to eat spinach? Add bacon of course! And not only do you add bacon to the salad, but add it to the dressing too.
And our bacon grease very seriously. Save that stuff when you are done frying up your bacon. I pour the bacon grease through a strainer that is lined with a coffee filter to help clean out any grit or burnt pieces.
Divinely flavorful “diet” food.
- 1 pound bag of baby spinach
- 1 red onion half sliced in 1 in. piece and other half reserved
- 4 roma tomatoes diced
- 5-6 button mushrooms sliced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 1 pound bacon fried and crumbled with grease reserved
- 1/2 cup bacon grease
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 red onion finely diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbles from salad
Pour spinach into large bowl. Top with Salad toppings except for eggs.
Serve salad in individual bowls. Serve salad topped with eggs and drizzled with dressing.
Pour 1/3 cup warm bacon grease through a coffee filter lined strainer into 2 or 4 cup measuring cup.
Add vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper.
Saute onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes in a tablespoon of bacon grease. Add onion and garlic to mixture of bacon grease and vinegar.
Whisk together. Add a splash of water if needs to be thinned a bit.
Add bacon crumbles and stir before drizzling over salad.
What is on your plate this week? I am eating everything topped with bacon dressing:)