Since I am obsessed with Abuelo's papas con chile, I knew I wanted to make a copycat recipe. I had seen a version of the copycat recipe on Mommy Travels and was just waiting for the right time to make them. These Mexican mashed potatoes become a staple in our house.
Ingredients for Mexican Mashed Potatoes
Mexican mashed potatoes are the copycat recipe of Abuelo's papa con chile made with mashed potatoes, garlic, peppers, sour cream, onions, cheese, and more. The ingredients are simple ingredients so don't be daunted by the list.
- Potatoes - Mashed potatoes are the base for this. For an easy mashed potatoes recipe, try the Instant Pot mashed potatoes, The premade mashed potatoes from the store can work just fine as well. I have not tried instant or powdered potatoes for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese - Traditional full-fat cream cheese.
- Cream - Half and half cream is ideal for this. Whole milk or evaporated milk can also be substituted for this Mexican mashed potatoes recipe.
- Velveeta Cheese - Velveeta cheese is my preference here. If you don't like velveeta, colby jack or another good melting cheese will work in this recipe.
- Sour Cream - Sour cream is just a must in this recipe. Greek yogurt could be substituted for the sour cream in a pinch.
- Peppers - You will want to have all the peppers in this papa con chile recipe: Bell peppers, Jalapenos, and Green Chiles. If you don't want as much heat in the potatoes, substitute poblano for the jalapeno peppers.
- Garlic - Fresh minced cloves of garlic is best. Jarred minced garlic can also work. If neither are available garlic powder can be used.
- Green Onions - These potatoes need some onions, and green onions offer the most delicate onion flavor. Shallots could be substitutued.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Abuelo's Papas con Chile
Simply start by boiling red potatoes that have been quartered.
Then prep the rest of the ingredients by dicing up the peppers and onions.
Looking for an entree to make with this papas con chile? Try some carnitas in the crock pot, beer-braised beef fajitas, or even these low-carb sheet pan cheesy chicken fajitas and these Mexican mashed potatoes.
Abuelo’s Papas con Chile - Mexican Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes quartered
- 3 ounces cream cheese cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces Velveeta cubed
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ diced red bell peppers
- 2-4 ounce cans of chopped green chiles
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno seeded
- Place cubed potatoes into a pot of water covering completely. Boil potatoes until soft. Drain and return to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to potatoes. Mash potatoes until all the ingredients are incorporated.