Since I am obsessed with Abuelo's papas con chile, I knew I wanted to make a copycat recipe. I had seen a version of the copycat recipe on Mommy Travels and was just waiting for the right time to make them. These Mexican mashed potatoes become a staple in our house.
These mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for your favorite Mexican entree. If you love Mexican food and don't love rice, these potatoes are for you.
Ingredients for Mexican Mashed Potatoes
Mexican mashed potatoes are the copycat recipe of Abuelo's papa con chile made with mashed potatoes, garlic, peppers, sour cream, onions, cheese, and more. The ingredients are simple ingredients so don't be daunted by the list.
- Potatoes - Mashed potatoes are the base for this. For an easy mashed potatoes recipe, try the Instant Pot mashed potatoes, The premade mashed potatoes from the store can work just fine as well. I have not tried instant or powdered potatoes for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese - Traditional full-fat cream cheese.
- Cream - Half and half cream is ideal for this. Whole milk or evaporated milk can also be substituted for this Mexican mashed potatoes recipe.
- Velveeta Cheese - Velveeta cheese is my preference here. If you don't like velveeta, colby jack or another good melting cheese will work in this recipe.
- Sour Cream - Sour cream is just a must in this recipe. Greek yogurt could be substituted for the sour cream in a pinch.
- Peppers - You will want to have all the peppers in this papa con chile recipe: Bell peppers, Jalapenos, and Green Chiles. If you don't want as much heat in the potatoes, substitute poblano for the jalapeno peppers.
- Garlic - Fresh minced cloves of garlic is best. Jarred minced garlic can also work. If neither are available garlic powder can be used.
- Green Onions - These potatoes need some onions, and green onions offer the most delicate onion flavor. Shallots could be substitutued.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Abuelo's Papas con Chile
Simply start by boiling red potatoes that have been quartered.
Then prep the rest of the ingredients by dicing up the peppers and onions.
Once the potatoes were soft, I added the remaining ingredients - peppers, onions, Velveeta, cream cheese, sour cream, cream, garlic, and green onions.
Finally, use a hand masher to incorporate all the ingredients into the potatoes.
These mashed potatoes smelled divine. Let's be honest, I stuck my finger in for a big taste. Delicious!
Looking for an entree to make with this papas con chile? Try some carnitas in the crock pot, beer-braised beef fajitas, or even these low-carb sheet pan cheesy chicken fajitas and these Mexican mashed potatoes.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Bacon and Onions
Easy Cheesy Twice-Baked Potatoes
Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Tater Tots
Cheesy Shepherd's Pie - Mashed Potato Ground Beef Casserole
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Abuelo’s Papas con Chile - Mexican Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes quartered
- 3 ounces cream cheese cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces Velveeta cubed
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ diced red bell peppers
- 2-4 ounce cans of chopped green chiles
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno seeded
- Place cubed potatoes into a pot of water covering completely. Boil potatoes until soft. Drain and return to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to potatoes. Mash potatoes until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Sheet Pan Pork Tenderloin andPotatoes - May 30, 2023
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Vodka Cranberry Grapefruit Drink - May 6, 2023
- Italian Coleslaw - April 30, 2023
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl
Oh my...we eat Mexican food at our house at least once a week...and mashed potatoes our my husband's favorite food. It's destiny--bookmarking to make this next week! Thanks!
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl
Oops, ARE my husband's favorite food. 🙂
Great sounding recipe and love the chilies in there.
If you haven't already I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry Aloo Tikki
Cook Lisa Cook
the Mexican potatoes look really good! perfect! Great Choice for THE CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE!!
Oh my goodness! What's not to like about this recipe? Looks fantastic!
Is it 1/2 red bell pepper or 1/2 cup red bell pepper?
It is my experience 1/2 a bell pepper is normally pretty close to 1/2 cup. But 1/2 bell pepper is what I always use for this recipe.
Jey @ The Jey of Cooking
I would never have thought of making Mexican potatoes, but these sound delicious!
Leah, I can't wait to make these potatoes with all the wonderful Mexican seasons. Great recipe for the Crazy Cooking Challenge, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great day.
Oh my these look great! I've never worked with Velveeta. Maybe
Jenny's Cookbook I should!
I don't know what happened there. It should read "maybe I should".
I'm not a velveeta fan, but your potatoes look so good that I might not care ;). Seriously, lovely color and I like all your bits of this and that.
Hope you'll stop by and see my Deep-Fried mozzarella Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls.
Oh my deliciousness. This is definitely getting a vote from me! All those goodies inside those potatoes?!?! I want to make those soon and very soon. Great CCC pick! I'm #71 🙂
D @ The Shady Porch
Visiting from the Challenge #63. Thanks for stopping by...your chosen recipe looks really good. Love the ingredients...love the dish!
This looks fantastic-I've never heard about it before. Must try soon.
Yum yum yum! These look sooo good!
Thanks for checking out my entry #59!
OMG. I just found the perfect food!
i realized that i had a mexican potluck today and only had potatoes as a main ingredient! looking online for mexican potatoes i found your recipe and it was AMAZING. i had to make some alternations because i didnt plan ahead for ingredients, but the cans of green salsa really helped pull off the 'mexican' flavor. thank you for sharing!!!
these potatoes were amazing! they were just like abuelos!
My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web address and
thought I might check things out. I like
what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page again.
After going over a number of the blog posts on your site, I seriously like your technique of writing a blog.
I saved as a favorite it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon. Take a look at my web site as well and tell me how you feel.
They look very liquidy. Ive eaten there many times and they weren't so liquidy any reason for that?
Just finished making these. They are so good! They look thin but they aren't and the flavor was amazing. Only difference I did was to cook the jalapeno with the potatoes to take a little heat out so my kids could enjoy it too.
Better than ever. Easy to make
I made this today. Pretty good! I think next time I will precook the red pepper and jalapeño pepper some. I might have had too many potatoes so I did add a little more velveeta and some salt but other than that it was spot on!