I love fresh greens in the spring straight from my garden. The great thing about spring greens is you can pick them and then they will keep growing back. When the spring greens and lettuces are in full swing I love making this BLT salad multiple times a week. BLT salad is a simple salad recipe combining lettuce, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and bacon crumbles with a homemade creamy dressing that is a cross between ranch and caesar dressing.
This salad recipe is very similar to my Caesar salad with bacon recipe, but it is just a little bit extra with this creamy ranch dressing. I love a good salad with freshly fried bacon crumbles too. This is why if you are bacon salad lover, this spinach salad with hot bacon dressing is a must try too.
BLT Salad Ingredients
The BLT salad is a simple salad to make even with the homemade dressing. Here are the ingredients you need to pull together this perfect summer salad.
- Parmesan Cheese
What Greens to Use in BLT Salad
This BLT salad was made complete with lettuce from our garden we planted a few weeks back.
I cut it at the ground and brought it in to be washed. I do not have a salad spinner, so I just laid it out on paper towels to dry out.
If you don't have fresh garden greens, feel free to purchase mixed greens or even just some romaine lettuce.
How to Make BLT Salad Recipe
The hardest part of making this salad is frying the bacon, but if that is the hardest part of this salad, it is worth it. Now, comes my favorite hunk of meat of them all...bacon.
Now the recipe was for two salads and I was going to be feeding this to at least four, so I doubled the recipe. I used about 10 slices of thinly sliced bacon that I cut into pieces to fry up in a skillet. When it is completely fried up, spoon it out of the pan onto paper towels and let cool.
Now, onto the dressing. I must admit. I adjusted a tad. So mix together about 4 tablespoons of mayo with 2 teaspoons of vinegar. The recipe called for seafood seasoning, but I had an open envelope of Hidden Valley ranch mix. So, I added about ½ teaspoon of the ranch mix and stirred together. (It was thick right before I served, so I splashed about a tablespoon of milk into the dressing to then it out.)
I always have cherry tomatoes in the house. Our little princess is obsessed with cherry tomatoes. So, I cut the little tomatoes in half and tossed on the salad. I used about a cup of tomatoes.
I then put the salad in the fridge until it was time to serve. Right before serving, I also added a cup of Italian blend cheese, the bacon and tossed.
Once I had tossed it I add the dressing and tossed again.
Variations to the BLT Salad
This salad is the perfect base salad for a lot of different ways to change up the salad. Here are some ways to change up this salad.
- BLT Pasta Salad - Add pasta to this base salad for a delicious salad. Cook the pasta and chill it before adding it to the base for a BLT pasta salad.
- BLTA Salad - If you love a bacon lettuce tomato avocado sandwich, then you should add diced avocado to this salad to make a BLTA salad.
- BLT Steak Salad - Adding steak or even chicken to this salad to make it a full-dinner entree salad. Get the perfect marinade for the steak too.
Easy Salad Recipes
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 6 cups lettuce torn into bite-size pieces - Romaine, spring mix, or garden lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes cut into wedges or 16 cherry tomates halved
- ½ pound bacon crumbles
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, and ranch seasoning. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Set dressing aside.
- Arrange lettuce and tomatoes in a bowl or on a plate.
- Top with bacon and cheese and toss with dressing.
It was yummy! Definitely will be making this again this summer.
What do you have cooking for Hunk of Meat Monday? Share your link!
shared on weekend potluck