I grew up loving a salad that was more like a dessert call pistachio fluff in our house but watergate salad in many other houses. Watergate Salad is an easy, 5-ingredient Pistachio Fluff Salad, made with pistachio instant pudding, pineapple, cool whip, nuts, and marshmallows. I don't feel like it is really a holiday without some green fluff!
What is in Watergate Salad?
The ingredients in the Watergate salad are the old-fashioned go-to ingredients our mothers and grandmothers used to make this green jello salad.
- Pistachio Instant Pudding - The small 3.4-ounce box of instant pistachio pudding is what you need for this recipe. There is no substitute for this flavor of pudding.
- Pineapple - Crushed pineapple works best for this recipe. I have also used pineapple tidbits for this recipe giving the salad larger pineapple pieces. This really balances the marshmallows.
- Whipped Topping - Let's be honest, this is cool whip, regardless of if you buy the store brand or name brand. Nothing compares to this freezer treasure.
- Marshmallows - Mini marshmallows are what you need for this. Again no substitute for these pillows of sweetness.
- Nuts - You have options for the nuts. Walnuts or pecans work best. I have a preference towards the pecans but if you are a walnut person, then go that direction.
What is the difference between Watergate Salad and Pistachio Fluff?
NUTS - that is the difference. If you have an aversion to nuts, then you want to make Pistachio Fluff Salad and not Watergate Salad. So, be an expert and serve your green fluff salad with confidence, with or without the nuts.
How to Make Watergate Salad Recipe?
Make your life easier and make this salad in the bowl you want to serve the salad in. In this large serving bowl, mix the instant pistachio pudding and crushed pineapple with the pineapple juice together.
Then, fold in the whipped topping and mini marshmallows. Yes, David, fold it in. Sorry, I just love Schitt's Creek. Now, if you are not adding nuts, stop right there. You have pistachio fluff salad!
If you are making the old-fashioned Watergate salad, then stir in your chopped nuts. For both versions refrigerate for two hours or longer to chill and set up.
When it is time to serve, have some additional nuts to garnish the salad with as well as some maraschino cherries. It will be a fancy little salad that will feel like a dessert.
Easy Fruit Salad Recipes
Fruit salads are a great way to mix healthy and desserts into one recipe. A few of these fruit salad recipes are my favorite desserts too.
Watergate Salad - Pistachio Fluff
- 2 3.4 ounces Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix
- 20 ounce crushed pineapple
- 16 ounces whipped topping
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- In a large serving bowl, mix the pudding mix and crushed pineapple with juice together.
- Fold in the whipped topping and mini marshmallow.
- For the Watergate Salad - Add the chopped nuts.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Vodka Cranberry Grapefruit Drink - May 6, 2023
- Italian Coleslaw - April 30, 2023
- Bourbon Peach Slab Pie - Peach Pie Bars 🍑 🥧 - April 1, 2023
Leave a Reply