As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love creamy casseroles in the winter time. The problem now is, for the most part, they have flour in the sauce or the pasta. But, this low-carb chicken cordon bleu casserole creation can be completely flour free. This chicken cordon bleu casserole recipe is rich and creamy and full of flavor but yet low-carb and gluten-free for those on a ketogenic or low-carb diet.
Low-Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Now, of course, the bread crumbs I put on part of it have flour, but the almond meal can be substituted for the bread crumbs or completely omitted. The sauce is a creamy, cheesy sauce that doesn’t have a lick of thickener in it. Simply mix cream cheese, butter, milk or cream and parmesan cheese together for the base of the sauce.
Now start layering the casserole. Start with shredded or cubed cook chicken. This is about 2 cups worth or 4-5 boneless skinless chicken thighs. Followed by 1 cup shredded swiss cheese. You can use monterey jack or mozzarella also. Then layer ham. The next time I make this, I will cut up the ham. Feel free to use cubed ham or lunch meat. Just make sure you cut the lunch meat up. Followed by the incredible sauce.
- 2 cups cooked diced or shredded chicken
- 1 cup diced ham or sliced ham lunch meat
- 1 cup shredded swiss monterey jack or mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup milk or half and half
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Layer the chicken in the bottom of a deep dish casserole pan.
- Layer shredded cheese on top of the chicken follow with the ham and then pour alfredo sauce over top of it all.
- To make the Alfredo sauce, mix the cream cheese, butter, milk, parmesan cheese and garlic powder together over a low heat in a small saucepan.
- Stir constantly until it is all melted and just begins to bubble. Remove from heat.
For added flavor and texture mix breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and butter together. Sprinkle over top of the alfredo sauce.
- Bake on 350 for 20-25 minutes or casserole is bubbling.