As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am giving away my new favorite cookbook. Maybe it is because it is grilling season, and I love to grill on my Big Green EGG. Or maybe it is because I am making food that looks like this Grilled Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken.
Grilled Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken
And just how do you get to this grilled bacon wrapped BBQ chicken. Start with chicken tenders or in my case chicken breasts and then cut them in half.
I multi-task in the kitchen so before you start wrapping your chicken, get your special barbecue sauce going. Pick your favorite barbecue sauce and then add two tablespoons of brown sugar and a teaspoon of onion powder.
As the sauce simmers, get to wrapping up your chicken. I was able to use one slice per chicken. Some folks may want to hold the bacon in place by toothpicks. I had good luck keeping the bacon in place with the just the barbecue.
Once it safely wrapped and completely covered with bacon, it is time to slather each piece with your barbecue sauce.
I used a grill brush to put the sauce on but you could also use a spoon.
Then it is grill time! The bacon will put off bacon grease. So, if you a grilling over a gas grill, you may want to put the chicken a little in between the burners or a more indirect location on the grill.
Now, don’t get flip happy. If you flip too much the bacon will fall off. And you don’t want to lose the bacon to the grill. Trust me. I cooked the chicken for about 10-15 minutes on each side. Use a meat thermometer and make sure you cook your chicken to 165 degrees. And plus, you want your bacon done too!! The barbecue and bacon will keep the grilled bacon-wrapped BBQ chicken juicy.
If you want to enjoy a bacon wrapped meal, add some asparagus wrapped in bacon to the grill.
Bacon Wrapped BBQ Chicken
- 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half
- 1/2-1 lb bacon
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and onion powder. Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wrap chicken breast with one to two slices bacon each. Set aside 3/4 cup sauce mixture. Brush remaining sauce mixture over chicken.
- Place chicken on the grill not directly over flames to prevent flare-ups with a medium-high heat. Grill for 25-30 minutes, flipping twice until nearly done. Brush chicken well with reserved sauce mixture.
- Cook until chicken juices run clear and sauce is caramelized. Always cook chicken to 165 degrees.
Latest posts by Leah (see all)
- Smoked Pork Chops – Big Green Egg Smoked Pork Chops - September 22, 2019
- Low-Carb Chili - September 13, 2019
- Sloppy Joe Boats - September 8, 2019