Grilling season means it is time to make grilled bacon-wrapped BBQ chicken. This is easily one of my favorite grilled chicken recipes because everyone in my family loves this it. Grilled bacon-wrapped BBQ chicken recipe is lightly seasoned chicken tenderloins that are then wrapped in bacon and then coated in a doctored up barbeque sauce before quickly grilling to perfection.
Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken tenderloins or breasts, sliced into strips
- Barbeque Sauce
- BBQ Seasoning
- Brown sugar
- Onion powder
How to Make Grilled Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken Tenderloins
And just how do you get to this grilled bacon-wrapped BBQ chicken. Start with chicken tenders or in my case chicken breasts and then cut them in half.
I multi-task in the kitchen so before you start wrapping your chicken, get your special barbecue sauce going. Pick your favorite barbecue sauce and then add two tablespoons of brown sugar and a teaspoon of onion powder.
As the sauce simmers, get to wrapping up your chicken. I was able to use one slice per chicken. Some folks may want to hold the bacon in place by toothpicks. I had good luck keeping the bacon in place with just the barbecue.
I used a grill brush to put the sauce on but you could also use a spoon.
Then it is grill time! The bacon will put off bacon grease. So, if you a grilling over a gas grill, you may want to put the chicken a little in between the burners or a more indirect location on the grill.
Now, don't get flip happy. If you flip too much the bacon will fall off. And you don't want to lose the bacon to the grill. Trust me. I cooked the chicken for about 10-15 minutes on each side. Use a meat thermometer and make sure you cook your chicken to 165 degrees. And plus, you want your bacon done too!! The barbecue and bacon will keep the grilled bacon-wrapped BBQ chicken juicy.
If you want to enjoy a bacon-wrapped meal, add some asparagus wrapped in bacon to the grill.
Bacon Wrapped BBQ Chicken
- 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins or boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half
- 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning
- ½-1 lb bacon
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and onion powder. Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with the BBQ seasoning and then wrap chicken breast with one to two slices bacon each. Set aside ¾ cup sauce mixture. Brush remaining sauce mixture over chicken.
- Place chicken on the grill not directly over flames to prevent flare-ups with a medium-high heat. Grill for 25-30 minutes, flipping twice until nearly done. Brush chicken well with reserved sauce mixture.
- Cook until chicken juices run clear and sauce is caramelized. Always cook chicken to 165 degrees.