As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
There is only one reason I can appreciate old man winter. ONE. And it is soup. I love soup. And I love eating soup when the weather is cold outside. This creamy Italian sausage soup is officially my new favorite soup.
This soup is one of those things that just leaves you wanting to clean up the bowl with a crusty piece of bread. Or lick it clean. Whatever you prefer. And, honestly, you can have this soup on the table in 30 minutes or let it simmer in the crock pot all day long. Your choice!
The most important thing about this soup is the pork. I used ground pork and added Italian sausage seasoning. I added a tablespoon of seasoning to a pound of ground pork. Plus a teaspoon of And these days I don’t make any soup without two pounds of meat. Don’t have ground pork at your grocery store? You can also buy Italian sausages or brats and just remove the casings. Either way, you are bound to get the flavorful Italian pork sausage base.
Once the pork is browned you can start adding the sauces. I used a big 24 ounce can of garlic and herb tomato sauce. Then added a can of diced tomatoes. I added fire roasted tomatoes because that is what I had. Again, add whatever kind of tomatoes you have on hand. I then added The combination of just the pork, sauce and tomatoes makes an amazing soup base full of flavor. You honestly could stop now. But why would you want to stop now? Keep going. It just keeps getting better.
If you want to cut calories, the soup at this point is delish without the added creamy, cheesy goodness. But, how about you add the block of cream cheese now. Stir the cream cheese into the tomato and meat base till completely melted. So, now the secret ingredient comes to play… Wait for it…
Two tablespoons of brown sugar. Yep. Suuugggaaaaarrrrrrrrrr. Trust me and add it.
And again you have choices. I ate a bowl without pasta. But I am feeding a bottomless pit, so I added pasta to the soup. I would recommend a bow tie or another wide type noodle to catch sauce easily. Add the al dente pasta when the cream cheese is melted. Add more water if you want the soup to be thinner. I sort of like my soup to be more stew-like. Stoups are my favorite.
Easy Weeknight Meal Recipes
Creamy Italian Sausage Soup is a twist on chili or lasagna soup. Robust tomato and pork sausage flavor come together in this easy soup recipe. Plus easily low carb and gluten free with the omission of the pasta. #soup #ItalianRecipes #QuickRecipes #EasyRecipes
- 2 pounds of ground Italian Sausage or ground pork with 2 tablespoon Italian sausage seasoning
- 1- 24 ounce can of garlic and herb tomato sauce
- 1 -15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1-2 cups of water
- 1 - 8 ounce block of cream cheese
- 8 ounces of bow-tie past cooked to al dente
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes - optional
Brown the sausage or pork with seasonings. Drain any excess grease. Return to soup pot. Start cooking the pasta.
- Add red pepper flakes, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes along with salt and pepper. Add one cup of water. Simmer till just starting to bubble.
- Stir in cream cheese into the tomato and meat base. Add the brown sugar. Continue to simmer on low heat.
Add the cooked pasta. Stir to combine and serve with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Get other great recipes over at The Country Cook’s Weekend Potluck!
- Cheesy Shepherd’s Pie – Mashed Potato Ground Beef Casserole - February 22, 2020
- Crock Pot Taco Stuffed Pepper Soup – Taco Hamburger and Rice Soup - February 9, 2020
- Whiskey Dogs – Lit’l Smokies Appetizer - February 8, 2020