As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am all about cooking large amounts of meat to eat from for several meals. So the whisky and apricot glazed ham leftovers lead me to developing a new tater tot casserole with ham and broccoli as the base instead of a traditional ground beef and green bean tater tot casserole.
I used leftover ham for this recipe, but diced ham can be purchased for this recipe too. To be honest, we loved this recipe so much that is exactly what we will be doing when I make this recipe in the future. While the ham is the base layer, the layers pile up, so pick a deep casserole dish when you make this. After the ham add the onions and garlic, then sliced mushrooms followed by cream of mushroom soup, broccoli, cheese and then the tots. Well, except I didn’t pick a deep enough casserole dish, so I used tater crowns.
I don’t know how to emphasize, deep casserole dish. I had food busting out at the seems. Sometimes, I just can’t stop adding ingredients. I like layers of flavors. Literally.
Bake for one hour on 350. Monitor it though. Every oven is different. I put frozen broccoli in my casserole. If you use fresh, it may not take as long to cook. After an hour, the casserole should be bubbly and the tater tots crisp and brown.
The great thing about this casserole is the cheese on top of the broccoli. I get a ton of vegetables into the kids with the broccoli, onions, and mushrooms. They don’t even notice the mushrooms and onions since the cheese smothers everything.
The ooey-gooeyness of the casserole makes it hard for kids to resist. Plus the ham and broccoli combination is a good twist on the traditional ground beef and green beans tater tot casserole.
Ham and Broccoli Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound of diced ham about two cups
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 8 ounces of mushrooms sliced
- 2. 10 ounce cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 8 ounces velveeta sliced
- 32 ounce bag of tater tots or crowns
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep casserole dish layer the ham, onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Spread the cream of mushroom soup over the sliced mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the broccoli over the soup and place the sliced velveeta over the broccoli.
- Top with the tater tots or crowns.
- Bake on 350 for 1 hour.
- Bacon Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms – Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms - June 28, 2020
- Easy Summer Dinner Ideas - June 22, 2020
- The Ultimate Baked Tacos – Creamy Ground Beef Baked Tacos - June 13, 2020