I am all about cooking large amounts of meat to eat for several meals. So the apricot bourbon glazed ham leftovers lead me to develop a new tater tot casserole with ham and broccoli as the base instead of traditional ground beef and green bean tater tot casserole.
Ham Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
Tater tot casserole is normally made with ground beef, green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and tater tots. For this version, it is still meat, vegetables, cheese, and tater tots. Just a few more tasty ingredients to make it even better.
- ham - I used leftover ham for this recipe, but diced ham can be purchased for this recipe too. To be honest, we loved this recipe so much that is exactly what we will be doing when I make this recipe in the future.
- onion - Sweet or yellow onions are perfect choices for this recipe. If you don't like onions, they can be left out of the recipe.
- garlic cloves - minced garlic cloves from a garlic bulb or the jarred minced garlic works too.
- mushrooms sliced - Fresh button mushrooms or canned sliced mushrooms also work for this recipe.
- cream of mushroom soup - Is it really tater tot casserole without a can of cream of mushroom soup?
- broccoli florets -Fresh or frozen broccoli both work in this recipe. Whatever broccoli you have on hand is what will work.
- Velveeta - cream cheese hits the spot. I have found American cheese is the best for this and Velveeta is my go-to option.
- tater tots or crowns - Tater tots, mini tater tots, or potato crowns all work to top off this tater tot casserole.
- salt and pepper
How to make tater tot casserole with ham
While the ham is the base layer, the layers pile up, so pick a deep casserole dish when you make this. After the ham, add the onions and garlic, then sliced mushrooms followed by cream of mushroom soup, broccoli, cheese, and then the tots. Well, except I didn't pick a deep enough casserole dish, so I used tater crowns.
I don't know how to emphasize, a deep casserole dish. A lasagna pan would be perfect for making tater tot casserole. I had food busting out at the seems. Sometimes, I just can't stop adding ingredients. I like layers of flavors. Literally.
Bake for one hour on 350. Monitor it though. Every oven is different. I put frozen broccoli in my casserole. If you use fresh, it may not take as long to cook. After an hour, the casserole should be bubbly and the tater tots crisp and brown.
The great thing about this casserole is the cheese on top of the broccoli. I get a ton of vegetables into the kids with broccoli, onions, and mushrooms. They don't even notice the mushrooms and onions since the cheese smothers everything.
The ooey-gooeyness of the casserole makes it hard for kids to resist. Plus the ham and broccoli combination is a good twist on the traditional ground beef and green beans tater tot casserole.
Variations to the Ham and Broccoli Tater Tot Casserole
This ham tater tot casserole can be made in various ways. Here are some great combination alternatives:
- Corn - Change out the broccoli with corn if you have leftover corn or if you just love corn more than broccoli.
- Green bean casserole - Got leftover green bean casserole? Use it in this tater tot casserole in place of the broccoli and cream of mushroom soup.
- Mashed potatoes - Mashed potatoes can be substituted for the tater tots just like a shepherds pie but with ham and broccoli.
Leftover Ham Recipes
After a holiday dinner, it seems the ham multiplies. So if you are looking for ways to use leftover ham, here are some great leftover ham recipes.
Ham and Broccoli Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound of diced ham about two cups
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 8 ounces of mushrooms sliced
- 2. 10 ounce cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 8 ounces velveeta sliced
- 32 ounce bag of tater tots or crowns
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep casserole dish layer the ham, onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Spread the cream of mushroom soup over the sliced mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the broccoli over the soup and place the sliced velveeta over the broccoli.
- Top with the tater tots or crowns.
- Bake on 350 for 1 hour.