As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A few years ago, my daughter started 4-H. She wanted to be in the cooking and baking project. However, her first year she decided baking with a mix was more her speed. Fortunately, our county 4-H program had this option. Her first-year project she exhibited were these Gooey Butter Cookies. They have quickly become a favorite of ours. Now, it seems there is a seasonal funfetti cake mix for every holiday. These Christmas cake mix gooey butter cookies are quickly becoming our favorite Christmas cake mix cookies recipe. They are light and delicate yet sweet and satisfying.
Christmas Cake Mix Gooey Butter Cookies Ingredients
These cookies are so simple to make but softened or room temperature butter, cream cheese, and egg are key to success for this recipe. The basics along with the cake mix and a few special add-ins will make you well on your way.
How to make cake mix cookies?
Take the room temperature or softened butter and cream cheese and cream with a hand or stand mixer. Mix until completely smooth. Then add the room temperature egg and vanilla extract to the cream cheese and butter combination. Thoroughly mix the egg and vanilla into the cream cheese and butter mixture. Finally, you get to add the funfetti cake mix.
Now, the funfetti cake mix comes with candy bits or sprinkles already in the cake mix. We went ahead and added some more. Depending on your sprinkles, they color could bleed into the dough. Our cookie batter turned a light pink hue. However, I thought it was sort of festive this way. With the hand mixer, combine the cake mix until just incorporated. Then pop the dough in the fridge for an hour or longer to let the dough chill so it doesn’t all stick to your hands.
When you are ready to make the cookies, remove the dough from the fridge and roll into one to two inch balls and then roll in some powdered sugar.
Once the cookies are completely covered in the powdered sugar, place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray to keep the paper from flying off the pan.
Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes
Save the Christmas Cake Mix Gooey Butter Cookie Recipe
Christmas Cake Mix Gooey Butter Cookies
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 15.25 oz box funfetti cake mix
- 1/3 cup Christmas colored sprinkles
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Set the cream cheese, butter, and egg prior to making to get them to room temperature.
- Cream the softened butter and cream cheese together.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the cream cheese and butter, mixing completely together.
- Add the cake mix and extra sprinkles to the creamed base. Mix till just incorporated.
- Put the dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour to chill the dough.
- After the dough is chilled roll into one to two inch balls and then cover completely with powdered sugar.
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until just slightly light brown. Do not let edges get a darker brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.