As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Christmas Cake Mix Gooey Butter Cookies have become a go-to favorite at our house all year round. It seems if we have a potluck or party or just a sweet tooth craving, my daughter is whipping up a batch of her famous cookies. It should be no surprise she now has her Cake Mix Halloween Cookies. Since there is a seasonal funfetti cake mix for every holiday she thought why not. Cake Mix Halloween Cookies are a sweet combination of the funfetti cake mix with cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and eggs to form the softest cookies everyone will love.
Cake Mix Halloween Cookies
These cookies are so simple to make my 11-year-old makes them all by herself. Tip to the bakers though softened or room temperature butter, cream cheese, and egg are key to success for this recipe. The basics along with the cake mix and few more sprinkles if you want more color will get you on your way to what will soon be your favorite ooey gooey butter cookies.
Take the room temperature or softened butter and cream cheese and cream with a hand or stand mixer. Mix until completely smooth. Then add the room temperature egg and vanilla extract to the cream cheese and butter combination. Thoroughly mix the egg and vanilla into the cream cheese and butter mixture. Finally, you get to add the funfetti cake mix.
Now, the funfetti cake mix comes with candy bits or sprinkles already in the cake mix. We went ahead and added some more. Depending on your sprinkles, they color could bleed into the dough. We used the round sprinkles in this batch of ooey gooey butter cookies and there was no bleeding. With the hand mixer, combine the cake mix until just incorporated. Then pop the dough in the fridge for an hour or longer to let the dough chill so it doesn’t all stick to your hands.
When you are ready to make the cookies, remove the dough from the fridge and roll into one to two inch balls and then roll in some powdered sugar. Once the cookies are completely covered in the powdered sugar, place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray to keep the paper from flying off the pan.
Next, bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees until they are golden brown. Really watch the edges. Don’t let the edges around the bottom turn a darker brown.
We go ahead and add more powdered sugar to the cookies after they are baked too.
Haloween ooey gooey butter cookies are the perfect treat to take to fall parties or even for your Halloween party. All I can say is you will only get between 18-24 depending on how big you make them, so go ahead and buy more than one box of cake mix.Go ahead and get the cream cheese and butter out. You know you want to bake these cookies yet tonight.
Cake Mix Halloween Cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick) at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 15.25 ounce box of Funfetti Cake Mix - Halloween Edition
- 1/4 cup Halloween Sprinkles Optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cream together the room temperature cream cheese and butter.
- When combined, add the egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add the cake mix and extra sprinkles to the creamed base. Mix till just incorporated.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to help make the dough not stick to your hands when you roll it into balls.
- Roll into one to two inch balls and then cover completely with powdered sugar.
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until just slightly light brown. Do not let edges get a darker brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Add additional powdered sugar to the cookies, if desired.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
Also shared on Weekend Potluck.