As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
At our house, baking isn’t necessarily our gift. When we do bake it is with mixes. Caramel brookie bars are a caramel chocolate chip cookie brownies recipe that is the combination of a brownie mix with a chocolate chip cookie dough mix. Easy enough for my 10-year old daughter to make on her own for her 4-H Creating with a Mix project this year.
Now, these are the opposite of low calorie, low fat, and low carb. But these brownies are so good, so good in fact they won the reserve champion ribbon at 4-H judging. The 4-Her was a little nervous during judging.
As I have made obvious with a picture of my 10-year-old, these caramel brookie bars are simple to make. You will need two things to get started, a brownie mix for a 13X9 pan and chocolate chip cookie mix. Go ahead and grab your 13X9 pan for the bars as well.
Prepare the brownie mix according to the package directions and bake for five minutes less than the package directions. While the brownies bake, mix the chocolate chip cookie dough together according to the the directions as well. Let cool while you melt the caramels and heavy whipping cream together.
To make the caramel sauce, combine the caramel bits and heavy whipping cream together in a small saucepan. Stir continually until the caramel bits are completely melted. To the melted caramel add a quarter cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Stir until the chocolate is also melted. Pour the chocolatey caramel sauce over the brownies to cover completely.
Over the chocolate caramel sauce drop the prepared cookie dough in pieces making sure the entire brownie is covered. This is probably my daughter’s favorite part. She tries to be so strategic with the placement of each crumbled hunk of chocolate chip cookie dough.
The gooey goodness when you do cut into them will be so hard not to eat every single bar. When we were trying to get six uniform caramel brookie bars for judging, I couldn’t help but cut pieces off to help and enjoy.
Caramel Brookie Bars
- 18.3 ounce box of fudge brownie mix plus package ingredients
- 11 ounce bag of caramel bits
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 17.5 ounce bag of chocolate chip cookie mix plus package ingredients
- Mix the brownie mix together based on package directions and bake for 5 minutes less than the package states to cook.
- While the brownies are baking, mix together the chocolate chip cookie mix together according to the package directions.
- When the brownies are done, set aside to cool. Make the caramel sauce while the brownies cool.
- Mix together the caramel bits and heavy whipping cream over medium-low heat in a small saucepan. Stir continuously until the caramels are melted. Stir in the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Pour the sauce over the brownies. Then drop crumbled pieces of the chocolate chip cookie dough over the sauce.
- Bake on 375 for 20 minutes or until the cookie top is golden brown.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.