If you have kids, you have probably resorted to just making chicken legs for the kids. I know in my house there is always a war for chicken legs. I already have several chicken leg recipes - last resort chicken legs and my ranch oven-fried chicken is often made with chicken legs only. In a struggle to make chicken legs quickly one afternoon, I developed this crock pot BBQ ranch chicken legs recipe that cooked in just three hours.
Crock Pot BBQ Ranch Chicken Legs is a simple three-ingredient chicken drumsticks recipe that cooks in the casserole crock pot in three hours. If you are a home that is stocked with ranch seasoning and barbecue sauce, then this recipe is going to be easy for you to make!
Crock Pot Ranch BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Ingredients
Sometimes you really don't want to overthink a recipe. I sort of thought this recipe was too simple to turn out. Boy, was I wrong? We all need to remember to not overcomplicate things. This recipe is proof. You just need the following ingredients:
- Chicken Legs - one of those large packages of chicken drumsticks
- Barbeque Sauce - your favorite barbeque sauce will work in this recipe. Our favorite is the honey chipotle barbecue sauce from Sweet Baby Ray's.
- Ranch Seasoning - Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix in the large container is already in my spice cabinet.
How to Make Chicken Legs in the Crock Pot?
Start with your package of chicken legs and your ranch dressing seasoning. In the bottom of the casserole crock pot, I sprinkled ranch dressing seasoning. Then I began laying the chicken legs into the crock pot. Don't have a casserole crock pot? GET ONE. But, seriously, if you don't, just do the same thing in your traditional oval or round crock pot.
Keep alternating the legs down the crock pot until it is completely filled. Generously cover the chicken in the ranch seasoning.
Put the lid on and then cook on high for two hours. At this point grab your favorite BBQ sauce. We love the Baby Rays Chipotle Honey Barbeque Sauce. Liberally cover the chicken and let cook for another hour on high.
I added zero liquid to the chicken. I was nervous about not doing this, but I quickly realized there was plenty of moisture in the crock pot.
Serve the chicken immediately. It was saucy and tangy. The chicken legs were full of lots of flavors. The leftover chicken legs were also perfect for my bbq chicken mac and cheese too.
Get this crock pot BBQ ranch chicken legs recipe on the menu this week. Your family will thank you!
Variations to this Crock Pot Chicken Legs Recipes
This is a great recipe that is perfect for not just the crock pot but also grill, oven, or air fryer. Here are some great ways to change up the way you make these barbecue chicken legs.
- Grilled BBQ Ranch Chicken - Coat the ranch seasoning on the chicken legs and then grill the chicken. When the chicken is almost fully cooked, brush the barbecue sauce on the chicken. Remember to cook the chicken to 165 degrees.
- Air fryer Barbecue Ranch Chicken Legs - Mix the ranch and barbecue sauce together. Pour over the chicken and place in the air fryer. Cook for 10-15 minutes at 390 degrees.
- Oven-Baked Barbecue Drumsticks - Mix the ranch and barbecue sauce together. Place the chicken legs in a casserole dish in a single layer. Pour the Barbecue ranch sauce over the chicken legs. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Buffalo Barbecue Chicken - If you want to spice up this recipe, add a fourth of a cup of buffalo sauce to the barbecue sauce.
Chicken Drumstick Recipes
Chicken legs are so kid friendly and full of flavor. I love how inexpensive the chicken legs and bone-in chicken thighs are too compared to boneless chicken breasts or thighs. Here are some of the tried and true ways to make easy chicken recipes for your family.
Crock Pot BBQ Ranch Chicken Legs
- 3 pounds chicken legs about 12 legs
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing seasoning mix
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce
- Coat the bottom of a casserole crock pot with one tablespoon of ranch seasoning.
- On top of the ranch seasoning arrange the chicken legs.
- Season the chicken legs with the remaining two tablespoons of the ranch.
- Cook on high for two hours.
- After two hours, generously coat the chicken legs in BBQ sauce. Cook an additional hour until the chicken juices run clear.
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Vodka Cranberry Grapefruit Drink - May 6, 2023
- Italian Coleslaw - April 30, 2023
- Bourbon Peach Slab Pie - Peach Pie Bars 🍑 🥧 - April 1, 2023
Sounds delicious! Do you know what the cook time would be if I cooked on low? Thank you!
I would double the time on low. It may only take 50% more time though!