A good coffee cake was something memories are made of for me. Growing up my grandma was a coffee cake queen. It always seemed blueberry coffee cakes would be in the freezer or coming out of the oven. With fresh blackberry season coming into full swing, I was a craving a good coffee cake. Blackberry almond coffee cake is a simple coffee cake recipe using buttermilk and almond flavorings for a moist and flavorful coffee cake that could easily pass as a dessert too.
If streusel or crumble toppings are your addiction then this blackberry almond coffee cake is also going to be your new favorite. The sliced almonds and brown sugar crumble topping will add another level of flavors and textures for this coffee cake.
The secret to the flavor of this surprising blackberry almond coffee cake is buttermilk and blackberries. You will want to mix together the buttermilk, eggs, butter, and almond extract. Whisk to combine to make sure it is smooth and well combined.
In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Form a well with the dry ingredients to pour the buttermilk combination into and then stir to combine.
When the batter is combined, fold in the blackberries. Gently. Do your best not to break the blackberries. Grease an 8-inch round or square cake pan then. Time for the streusel crumb topping.
In a small bowl mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter together. Crumble pieces over the top of the coffee cake. Finally, top off with sliced almonds.
Blackberry Almond Coffee Cake
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1.5 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces blackberries
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, butter and extracts until blended. Pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Stir to combine until all the dry ingredients are just wet. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the blackberries.
- Pour into a greased 8-inch round or square cake pan.
- In a small bowl combine the crumble top ingredients of flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter until crumbly consistency. Use your fingers to break apart and sprinkle on the coffee cake.
- Top with sliced almonds.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Arroz Con Pollo - Mexican Chicken and Rice with Queso - March 28, 2021
- Air Fryer Broccoli Recipe- Ninja Foodi Broccoli - March 25, 2021
- Air Fryer Ravioli - How to Make Toasted Ravioli in the Air Fryer - March 13, 2021