As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Every single time my mom comes over to visit, my husband and kids want her to make meatloaf. It is like they have some sort of meatloaf shortage when they are stuck with me as a cook. The last time mom came over and got the meatloaf request, I decided I needed to learn how to make mom’s best meatloaf since it is also a gluten-free meatloaf recipe without any substitutions or changes.
Mom’s best meatloaf recipe is a gluten-free recipe as it is made with ground beef, oats, onions, eggs, milk, and a sweet and tangy glaze that is baked to perfection. This recipe was actually handed down from her mom so I guess I should really call this recipe Grandma Tootie’s Best Meatloaf but I sort of hated meatloaf back when my grandma was making this meatloaf.
So many meatloaf recipes call for crackers, bread, or breadcrumbs. This old-fashioned meatloaf recipe uses oats as the binder keeping the meatloaf together. This helps catapult my mom’s meatloaf into an easy gluten-free recipe. For this meatloaf recipe, you will need the staples of most meatloaves.
- Ground Beef. I would recommend a 90/10 or 93/7 beef for this to keep from too much shrinkage from the fat being cooked out.
- Oats. Old-fashioned rolled oats. If you only have quick oats, this will work as well.
- Milk. Whatever you have in the fridge will be fine. We use 2% milk.
- Eggs. The whole thing, not just yolks or whites.
- Onions. A diced white or sweet onion will do just fine.
- Salt and Pepper
The best part of this meatloaf might actually be the glaze on top. This glaze is a sweet and tangy combination of ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.
How to Make Mom’s Best Meatloaf
In a large bowl combine the oats, eggs, milk, onion. Then mix the ground beef, salt, and pepper into the mixture. I use my hands. My mom likes to use the mix and chop. But whatever your preference, mix the hamburger with the oat mixture.
When the hamburger and oats are mixed together form two mounds of meat in a 13X9 pan or lasagna pan.
Form the two mounds into oval-shaped loaves, leaving a space between each meatloaf. Forming two smaller meatloaves allows for the cooking time to be less. A full two-pound meatloaf can take a long time to bake. When the loaves are formed you are ready for the best part. It is time to prepare the glaze for the top of the meatloaf.
Bake the meatloaves for 30-40 minutes on 350º or until the middle of the meatloaf is fully cooked and the juices run clear. When the meatloaf is done, let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting to keep the juices in as much as possible.
If this recipe sounds amazing, then you will also want to try my ham balls that have a bourbon glaze over the top. The same glaze would also be great on this meatloaf.
I don’t know about you, but moms have all the best recipes. Here are a few more recipes I have stolen from my mom’s recipe box.
Mom's Best Meatloaf, a Gluten-Free Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup milk
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Tangy Meatloaf Glaze
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, milk, and eggs together. Then add the salt, pepper, onions and ground beef. Mix together with your hands to completely incorporate.
- In a 13X9 pan or lasagna pan form two mounds of meat and mold into ovals. You may also put in one large bread pan as well.
- Mix together the ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. Spread over the top of each meatloaf.
- Bake on 350° for 30-40 minutes if baking two smaller loaves. If baking a large loaf in a bread pan, it may take over an hour to fully cook.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.